Quote Originally Posted by no bull View Post
Correct me if im wrong but I thought the idea of using night vision was you could get closer to the target because your not waving a lamp about and giving your position away, so why would you need to be taking foxes out from so far away .
Well yes in general this is correct, but it doesn't always work like this.
I shot 265 foxes with the 223 last year, what's left are the one's that's survived or new one's moving in, of the 30 foxes that ive shot so far this year only two have come in to the remote caller, so its either bait-n-wait, or walking them down.
A typical night foxing for me is 30 miles to get there, 40-50 miles driving round several permission from 9pm -4am, and 30 mile back home, these remaining foxes are wise, when a vehicle stops they are looking in that direction, some times the I/R from the n/v is enough for the to run, in general they are operating at the end of the fields the furthest from the only access road, this can be 500-600 yds, some times i can walk them down, some times they leg it, then at the moment i haven't got a range finder that works in the dark, last week i walked a fox down to what i thought was around 200 yds i got it wrong and the shot went low, it was probably further than 240 yds?, last thursday night went out with "optima silk " off here, spotted a heat source with his thermal coming out of the woods, it was a fox, 323 yds, started to walk it down using a line of tree's so it din't see us, re checked it when we had walked around 120 yds, it had gone, IMO we hadn't done anything wrong, it just didn't spend much time in the field before it moved on--------that foxing for you.

I'm not saying the 223 isnt a good foxing gun, what i am saying is if i didn't already have this, knowing what i know now, i would have gone for the 22-250 or 243 as both of these's will give another 50-60 yd pbr over the 223 and in the 243's case have around the same knock down power at 250 yds, as the 223 has at 100 yds and less effected by wind.

Dave (warbucks)