Thread: Sussex Interclub HFT 2011 Round 3 - RESULTS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down

im sure if taking a shot with your bolt open should result in a zero score not allowing you to take a secound shot is this not true ?

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_boy View Post
    im sure if taking a shot with your bolt open should result in a zero score not allowing you to take a secound shot is this not true ?
    If the gun goes bang then its the end whatever the result. Like shooting the wrong target.

Open bolt. No pellet. etc.etc. people have been known to cheat so user error is the users fault and scored accordingly.

Equally having another shot at a target you have missed also is not allowed in a comp as one it might remove what is left of any paint thus disadvantaging the next few shooters and two you can work out why you missed which may help with your next target. Club days well thats another matter.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_boy View Post
    As Andy says, if it goes bang its a zero !
    one advantage of having a steyr, if the cocking arm isn't fully forward it just clicks, pull cocking lever back, see pellet is still there & re-take shot

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester

Are you certain?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    As Andy says, if it goes bang its a zero !
    one advantage of having a steyr, if the cocking arm isn't fully forward it just clicks, pull cocking lever back, see pellet is still there & re-take shot
    Quote: "Regardless of any circumstances ... such as forgetting to load a pellet, not shutting the loading bolt .. or if the trigger is pulled .. before you are locked on target, if the gun goes off the shot is considered as having been taken & will be scored accordingly. ... If this does happen, the competitor should make sure the pellet has left the gun by dry firing safely into the ground over the firing line with the consent of their shooting partners."

Employing the dry-fire facility available on some rifles, to cover up a firing cycle error, or circumventing the penaties normally incurred by shooters without this facility, could be interpreted as improper conduct and therefore sanctioned accordingly there are no grey areas on this issue, only one shot is permitted at a target whether it 'clicks' or 'bangs' .. once the trigger is pulled the gun has gone off and the shot should be considered as having been taken.

If anyone disagrees, I would suggest Sparky is consulted for a determination.
    The dry-fire facility is not available to all shooters and should not be used to 'practice' during an event.

Gary.
    Last edited by Alegazmoz; 17-05-2011 at 09:41 PM.

I thought the gun had to go bang!?
    I have shifted position before, with my Walther and as i felt it could compromise the safety of other shooters (not in a serious way you understand, just precautionary) i have pulled the bolt / lever right back to render the rifle safe,(as opposed to using a safety, that my rifle doesn't have) then gone to take a shot and only realised the lever was still back after pulling the trigger.

Nothing happens, except a little click so i have realised my 'safety' is still on if you like, and cocked the rifle and taken a shot!....

When my Steyr was getting grubby.....sometimes the lever didn't 'click' forward and wouldn't fire..just a click freakin annoying but never thought it was illegal?

Can't remember when it last happened but i didn't take a zero....maybe i was wrong but i would not deduct a point unless the gun went bang for anyone else.

Tough one!??

Spongetasticallystupid XX
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester

Condemned by his own admission ...

[QUOTE=blackscale;4949609](as opposed to using a safety, that my rifle doesn't have) then gone to take a shot and only realised the lever was still back after pulling the trigger.

Nothing happens, except a little click so i have realised my 'safety' is still on if you like, and cocked the rifle and taken a shot!....

....... but never thought it was illegal?

....maybe i was wrong but i would not deduct a point unless the gun went bang .....[/QUOTE]

I ... like most, don't have either a safety or a dry fire facility.
    Once I pull the trigger, either inadvertently, the bolt's not fully home, or I've not loaded a pellet, I don't get a second chance.
    I get an eyeful of air and a donut ..... a plate if I'm lucky and the pellet has left the barrel.
    A rifle with a dry-fire function clicks rather than completes the cycle, but the error is evident regardless and I personally would have no qualms in awarding the appropriate score.
    The only possible mitigation if uncertain, agree with your partners to dry-fire over the firing line 'before' taking the shot.
    Afterwards is too late and a second attempt is not permitted.
    A harsh attitude perhaps .. but undoubtedly fair.
    Last edited by Alegazmoz; 17-05-2011 at 10:33 PM.

You could well be right sausage, can't argue!?
    Just always thought air had to be discharged!

I stand corrected (sure a lot of people don't realise this though...)

XX
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Interesting discussion, but I do feel that the wording "if the gun goes off" does leave a teeny bit of room for interpretation and I can understand why some (many?) would have thought this meant hearing the 'bang' noise.

My interpretation would be in accord with the man who paints his letters green, along lines of ...... if you're on target, fully prepared to take the shot, only to find that pulling the trigger results in the discovery of a failure to load pellet/close action/whatever then the firing cycle is complete and the result scored on the outcome of that cycle. Otherwise we'll have Styer owners modifying their guns to mute the 'click'

Perhaps we do need a ruling from Sparky or other UKAHFT senior.

Biggles

Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

And another thing..

I often approach the shot with an unloaded rfile - especially on standers where you have to take the shot from either side of a tree. Rather than wave a loaded rifle around I line up the shot, then load. Who is to judge whether I meant to load a pellet and take the shot the first time I looked through the scope? If we are applying the strict rules then forgetting to load at all is as much a donut as forgetting to complete the loading cycle - even worse in fact? Do I have to declare every time I look through the scope that my rifle is unloaded?

Richard
    Last edited by Enthusiast; 18-05-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

...calm down darlink! X
    Don't think you can ever have a perfect world but the "if it doesn't go bang" ruling has to be the easiest to apply!?

keep it simple, is my vote....and i have had my share of donuts for trying to 'blow' a target over!...

XX