Thread: Walther LP53 - what is the leather washer for on the cleaning rod?

Walther LP53 - what is the leather washer for on the cleaning rod?

As the breach seal is neoprene (and a different size) what is the leather washer on the end of the cleaning rod for, or is it just a spacer?

Also can anyone tell me the transition date (or serial no.) from smooth to crackle finish.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post
    As the breach seal is neoprene (and a different size) what is the leather washer on the end of the cleaning rod for, or is it just a spacer?

Also can anyone tell me the transition date (or serial no.) from smooth to crackle finish.

Cheers
    I believe the transition was around 24000 plus?

Always thought the leather washer was to protect either end of the barrel from damage if rod pushed in too far ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

lp53

You could well be correct in your dating of the finish of blued action on lp53s.My extensive collection of said model extends to some 28 approx,i will have to count them to be certain of numbers.My first blued version is serial No. 003137 which is the first year of production 1953.The last blued version i own is a 1956 de-lux boxed version adjustable trigger serial No.17747.A 1957 de-lux boxed version with fitted barrel weight
    adj. trigger. Serial number 21090.Has the fine crackle finish, so has serial number 21010 1957.So abit before the 24000 mark.
    Roly.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Always thought the leather washer was to protect either end of the barrel from damage if rod pushed in too far ?

Baz
    Hi Baz

That makes sense, a bit over engineered. I guess that’s why they did away with it later on

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    You could well be correct in your dating of the finish of blued action on lp53s.My extensive collection of said model extends to some 28 approx,i will have to count them to be certain of numbers.My first blued version is serial No. 003137 which is the first year of production 1953.The last blued version i own is a 1956 de-lux boxed version adjustable trigger serial No.17747.A 1957 de-lux boxed version with fitted barrel weight
    adj. trigger. Serial number 21090.Has the fine crackle finish, so has serial number 21010 1957.So abit before the 24000 mark.
    Roly.
    Just to complicate things... is there a transitional partial crackle finish? Sure I read that somewhere, although my LP53’s receivers are either all smooth or crackle finish.

lp53

Good Grief you are getting complicated now. Looking at some of mine i would say that the fine crackle finish is more or less the same from my 1956 to my 1974 model although a few have a slight pattern to the finish which looks very nice and over the years you would expect a slight variation in finish,so no transition between i would say. Roly.