Thread: BSA A/S Mk 2 cocking lever pins.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For a "stubborn" roll pin, a stepped punch can be the answer. The punch smaller diameter fitting snugly in the roll pin and outer pin diameter obviously such that it just clears the hole the roll pin sits in. The stepped punch ensures good even contact with the pin circumference, keeping things nice and square so to say and making a successful good strike possible to shift it. Obviously the exiting side of the pin needs good support. The problem being if one does not have a lathe or someone with access to make one, or, trying to find and make a sleeve to fit over a bolt.....

Good luck with a frustrating situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    For a "stubborn" roll pin, a stepped punch can be the answer. The punch smaller diameter fitting snugly in the roll pin and outer pin diameter obviously such that it just clears the hole the roll pin sits in. The stepped punch ensures good even contact with the pin circumference, keeping things nice and square so to say and making a successful good strike possible to shift it. Obviously the exiting side of the pin needs good support. The problem being if one does not have a lathe or someone with access to make one, or, trying to find and make a sleeve to fit over a bolt.....

Good luck with a frustrating situation.
    Good suggestion, I like these 'dimpled' punches because they help keep the the roll pin concentric with the hole it's in & reduce the chance of the punch catching the hole at the starting point. I am not aware of anyone making them commercially but if you have the kit to make them they are handy.
    If the pin you are faced with is peened over at the ends at the factory they did it for a reason....to stop it walking. Before anyone tries to get one out they need to assure themselves they can recreate the process with the replacement that is going to replace it.

I’ve created my own dimple brass punch by merely knocking the crap out of the absolute B****** cocking lever pin with what was a perfectly good brand new brass drift.

My plus gas arrived moments ago , I’ve applied it and I’m now waiting tapping my fingers on the work bench for something good to happen before tea.

Making your own tools can be very rewarding!

Watch out for any risk of a taper entering the hole in the roll pin or it will tend to open it up as you try & drift it out & jam up. Less likely with a brass drift but if you find a steel punch that hasn't got a squared of tip then it might happen.

Just support things as much as possible, & ensure there is no obstruction at either end of the pin/ hole & get things lined up. Could you modify a G clamp or similar to wind a piece of drill rod or hardened rod to drive the pin out without the need to clout it, might be a more controlled way of exerting pressure from one side & supporting the other. Might also reduce the chance of slipping out of allignment too....

Best of luck

Waited , nothing good happened .

Plus-gas now resides at end of garden.

Pubs open !