Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Petition To Drop Plans For Licensing Air Guns

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Well the petiiton now stands at 10302. Any bets how far it would go from here or it is maxed out?

A.G
    Four days on and it is up by only 57 (10,359).

Government response awaited - guessing when it comes it might just say there are currently no proposals. What else can it say, it would not divulge anything too early

Would be good if the numbers increase a lot before the close in August; so they get the message that it will have a disproptionate negative impact on the sport.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

I think that I might have given the impression that I am against cabinets. This is not so. I just said that in my case and the small house that I live in there is not much room anywhere to house a cabinet.

A.G
    Are they hidden away at present ? If so could you put a cabinet in the place they are currently sited?

you can get horizontal gun safes that go under your bed http://www.monstervault.org/ on and shipped from the us total cost £510

Not sure if there is any sellers in the uk but you could ask if any can do them.
    Last edited by bighit; 10-03-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Are they hidden away at present ? If so could you put a cabinet in the place they are currently sited?

you can get horizontal gun safes that go under your bed http://www.monstervault.org/ on and shipped from the us total cost £510

Not sure if there is any sellers in the uk but you could ask if any can do them.
    That looks good.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    That looks good.
    May seem a little pricey but if your insurance company says " sorry we don't cover firearms "or " you did not have them specified on the policy " or they are one off customs then the price is not that much pay .

£510 or loose a few grand worth of irreplaceable rifles ?

Honest answer pleas.

IF the Government issues a new law and states you need a cabinet to be allowed to possess, use and collect airguns in England , what would you do ? would you comply with that law or will you do what some claimed up here and trotted out ""I'll give you my airguns when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands" .
    Last edited by bighit; 10-03-2018 at 10:45 AM.

That vault looks good although many folk do not have space under the bed (they have fitted drawers). The video says it weights 140lb so could be quite a struggle to get that up the stairs (maybe the drawer can be removed?). Could be a worthwhile long term investment, especially for folk concerned about access by young ones.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    That vault looks good although many folk do not have space under the bed (they have fitted drawers). The video says it weights 140lb so could be quite a struggle to get that up the stairs (maybe the drawer can be removed?). Could be a worthwhile long term investment, especially for folk concerned about access by young ones.

You could get a new bed to accommodate it. As I posted above IF they do insist on a cabinet what will you do? make changes to fit one or give up your hobby ?

And the cost ? You could sell one or two guns to cover the cost of getting it and a new bed with space underneath ( if required) or you sell them all and take up golf .

I sold a load of things to fund my cabinet when I was on a low wage . I wanted a shotgun and a .22lr so I sold things to get money to buy a cabinet . And fund my license .

I would think the drawer would be removable . how else would you get in the back to bolt it down and then the bolts at the front ?

If you have it delivered ,They may bring up your stairs. I ordered a new bed and they brought it up my stairs . yes the bed was flat pack but the king size mattress wasn't.

I ordered a 32 inch tv (old CRT type with the bulge at the back not a light flat screen ) Guess what ,yep they delivered it and left it in my living room for my partner.

I'm on the upstairs of our building with two flights of stairs that double back on them self and a landing in the middle

I very much doubt they will bring in legislation for a cabinet due to the collectors and their collections. They can't expect people to buy a huge cabinet to store 100/s of airguns in or build a gunroom.

They will do the same here and leave it as per the 2011 legislation .

Thats IF they go down the airgun license route.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

Yes they are. It would not be easy to get this beast to fit. I am already thinking of using a small room in the house if my wife allows it.

A.G

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords...8-03-05c.823.0

House of Lords .

Lord Black of Brentwood Conservative 2:35 pm, 5th March 2018
    To ask Her Majesty’s Government what plans they have to introduce a regime for the purchase, possession and use of air guns.

Link to this speech
    Baroness Williams of Trafford The Minister of State, Home Department
    My Lords, the purchase, possession and use of air weapons are already regulated. However, we are reviewing the regulatory position in England and Wales. We asked for the views of interested parties in December and we received a large number of representations from the wider public. We will consider these carefully before deciding how to proceed and we will publish the outcome in due course.

Lord Black of Brentwood Conservative
    I thank my noble friend for that Answer. Is she aware that a growing number of crimes involving air weapons relate to senseless attacks on domestic animals, particularly cats, nearly half of which die as a result of the often horrific injuries? The Cats Protection charity recorded 164 attacks on cats and kittens with an airgun last year, while the RSPCA received nearly 900 calls to its cruelty hotline reporting air weapon attacks on animals. This makes 4,500 attacks in the last five years. Is it time to license these weapons, to ensure that they are possessed only for legitimate purposes by responsible owners, not by those who would cruelly inflict pain and suffering—and often death—on defenceless domestic animals?

As a cat lover and cat owner, I totally sympathise with my noble friend’s Question. The Government take animal welfare very seriously. Anyone who shoots a domestic cat is liable to be charged and prosecuted, under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, with causing unnecessary suffering. We are increasing the maximum penalty for this offence from six months’ imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine to five years’ imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine. The number of offences involving air weapons in the year to March 2017 was similar to that in the previous year and there were 64% fewer air weapon offences than a decade previously. Following the recommendation from the coroner in the case of Benjamin Wragge, we are looking at the regulation of air weapons with an open mind. The review will also consider the position in Scotland and Northern Ireland, where licensing regimes are in place for air weapons.

The Earl of Shrewsbury Conservative
    My Lords, I declare an interest as the honorary president of the Gun Trade Association. Is my noble friend aware that the primary concern of the shooting sports organisations—in this country—is the safety of the public through the responsible ownership and use of all legally held firearms? Does she agree that the firearms Acts deal with airgun issues in piecemeal fashion and need consolidation, so that they can be more easily accessed, understood and obeyed by all?

In answer to my noble friend’s first question, I totally agree and have seen at first hand that responsible use should be at the heart of all country and field sports. I will certainly take back his point about consolidating the various regulations and licensing.

Baroness Hamwee Liberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Immigration)
    My Lords, the Government’s guidance says that,

“if you have never shot before, you would be well advised to go to a shooting club … and learn … how to handle your air weapon safely and responsibly”.

It advises people to learn about this. Does that not tell us all we need to know about the desirability and importance of licensing?

My Lords, this country has some of the strictest gun laws in the world. The outcome of the review will be very interesting and the Government will certainly take good cognisance of it in responding to it. The noble Baroness is absolutely right that these things should be as tightly regulated as possible.

Lord Kennedy of Southwark Opposition Whip (Lords), Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs), Shadow Spokesperson (Communities and Local Government), Shadow Spokesperson (Housing)
    My Lords, the Minister is correct in saying that we have some of the strongest gun laws in the world. However, they are still not strong enough. In the hands of irresponsible people these weapons can kill; she mentioned the tragic case of Benjamin Wragge. An 18 month-old child in the constituency of my honourable friend Karin Smyth in the other place was injured by an air weapon recently. We need a responsible licensing system, and will the Minister look at the whole question of storage? The current advice is that these weapons can be stored in a locked cupboard, which is not good enough.

The noble Lord is absolutely right, and the firearms licensing system is kept under review to make sure that it is not abused by criminals and terrorists and to preserve public safety. In response to the recommendations made by the Law Commission, we strengthened the firearms controls through the Policing and Crime Act. Two new offences were introduced of intending to unlawfully convert imitation firearms—making them effectively deactivated weapons—and making them available for sale or as a gift. We have recently consulted on proposals to prohibit two types of firearm—large-calibre and rapid-firing rifles—and on defining antique firearms in legislation to prevent them being used by criminals.

The Countess of Mar Deputy Chairman of Committees, Deputy Speaker (Lords)
    My Lords, what is the age range of offenders when they are caught? If they are youngsters, as I suspect, would it not be a good idea if parents, who often buy these things as presents for their teenagers, are advised that the present should be accompanied by lessons?

In terms of the age range, people using guns have to be over 18. I certainly agree with the noble Countess that anyone who is in possession of a gun for whatever legal purpose definitely should be taught how to use it properly.

Lord Campbell-Savours Labour
    My Lords, the effectiveness of the law is dependent on the level of compliance. Is it not true that the level of compliance in Scotland is very low?

As I said in my answer to my noble friend Lord Black, we are certainly looking at the regime in Scotland as part of our review and in coming to our conclusions.

Baroness Hodgson of Abinger Conservative
    My Lords, can my noble friend please tell me how many people were prosecuted last year for injuring animals in this way?

I can certainly tell my noble friend about the number of fatalities. I know that the number of these crimes has fallen. I am trying to find the figure, but will have to write to her about that.

Lord Foulkes of Cumnock Labour
    My Lords, as we know, the Scottish Government do not always get everything right. However, in this case, the law there seems to be working effectively. Why is England having to wait?

As I have said twice now, we will certainly look to the regime in place in Scotland as part of the review and in coming to a view.

How about handing out a stiffer penalty in line with the current laws ?

Do they know the Rifle used in the Ben's death was found in an airing cupboard here supposedly the boy put it . If so it was not locked away in a suitable manor in the first place.

The owner of this rifle was the cause of this tragedy through not securing it properly and not the many thousand more owners that will be affected by an new regulations.

Its good that there is a member of the gun trade in the Lords but not sure how much influence he will have.

She obviously does not know the current rules on using airguns regarding ages
    Last edited by bighit; 12-03-2018 at 04:58 PM.

They somehow have to justify their unelected place in the house of snooze.

A.G

This one only needs clicking so even lazy bums , should manage to put their name down to it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211656

A.G
    Done signed
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Done signed
    Thank you.

A.G

"Lord Kennedy of Southwark Opposition Whip (Lords), Shadow Spokesperson (Home Affairs), Shadow Spokesperson (Communities and Local Government), Shadow Spokesperson (Housing)
    My Lords, the Minister is correct in saying that we have some of the strongest gun laws in the world. However, they are still not strong enough. In the hands of irresponsible people these weapons can kill; she mentioned the tragic case of Benjamin Wragge. An 18 month-old child in the constituency of my honourable friend Karin Smyth in the other place was injured by an air weapon recently. We need a responsible licensing system, and will the Minister look at the whole question of storage? The current advice is that these weapons can be stored in a locked cupboard, which is not good enough. "

Can someone please tell this fool that no law is going to make ' irresponsible ' people turn responsible. There is nothing wrong with the law as it is but that it can not be policed. More laws that can not be policed will make a mockery of the law, criminal justice and policing apparatus of the country.
    Jumping on the bandwagon of emotional blackmail to appease the ill informed public is not the correct way of addressing any problem nor demonising tens of thousands of decent and ' responsible ' air gunners because of the actions of a handful of idiots would stop tragedies such the three that they are going on about.

A.G

Baroness Williams of Trafford seems to have her head screwed on, unlike some of these other unelected, over privileged lot. She mentions the large level of response to the review which I bloody well hope are mainly from the shooting community.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by danco1987 View Post
    Baroness Williams of Trafford seems to have her head screwed on, unlike some of these other unelected, over privileged lot. She mentions the large level of response to the review which I bloody well hope are mainly from the shooting community.
    Don't hold your breath . The huge response will be be from the furball brigade I know my neighbour sent in a response and she works part time for the cats protection here And had it on her facebook page asking her friends to respond in favour of the furballs .

And she knows I shoot airguns .
    Last edited by bighit; 13-03-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Can someone please tell this fool that no law is going to make ' irresponsible ' people turn responsible. There is nothing wrong with the law as it is but that it can not be policed. More laws that can not be policed will make a mockery of the law, criminal justice and policing apparatus of the country.
    Jumping on the bandwagon of emotional blackmail to appease the ill informed public is not the correct way of addressing any problem nor demonising tens of thousands of decent and ' responsible ' air gunners because of the actions of a handful of idiots would stop tragedies such the three that they are going on about
    Never a truer word spoken...
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177