Thread: first load in 223

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    That's interesting, thank you. A COL of 2.650 will not fit the magazine, but I have tried a couple of other cases (Remington) and now it looks as though 24gr N140 will go in with slight crunching and give COL of 2.280". A good reason for checking case capacities In the first place! I'm not comfortable with compressed loads though so will abandon this idea which was to use the longer, heavier bullets for 600 yard shooting (in an AR-style rifle, hence the need to use the magazine).
    I would PM parabuteo as he is using an AR with longer bullets
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    I would PM parabuteo as he is using an AR with longer bullets
    Yes, I did send him a PM yesterday so I hope he will reply!

I use mag length & longer in my AR, mag length for when I need to use the mag, usually use a 75gn Hornady in RG case with 24 gns for mag & 77gn Sierra in a Lapua case with around 24gns but single loaded with my single load platform mag.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    I use mag length & longer in my AR, mag length for when I need to use the mag, usually use a 75gn Hornady in RG case with 24 gns for mag & 77gn Sierra in a Lapua case with around 24gns but single loaded with my single load platform mag.
    Thanks very much. Further investigation is needed on my part I think! Spoke with Bob at SGC and he reckoned 24.5 of VarGet was a popular load. I hear there's a small stockpile kept under heavy guard in the vicinity of Inverness

Thanks very much. Further investigation is needed on my part I think! Spoke with Bob at SGC and he reckoned 24.5 of VarGet was a popular load. I hear there's a small stockpile kept under heavy guard in the vicinity of Inverness
    Aye, right & it's mine, all mine!!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.

you realise Varget isnt reach compliant ?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Oh, shock horror!!! I'd better burn it all.