Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
I wonder if these comments have some merit.

I posted recently on the legislation thread about idiotic behaviour with air rifles and Phil felt he had to delete it as we don't want to give the antis any real ammunition. I respect that point of view and have no problem with Phil doing what he feels he needs to do.

I do wonder, as a community, if we need to be sensible and have some sort of rules as to how we want airgunners in the UK portrayed.

I was posting on the legislation thread on behalf of decent airgunners who may have mental health issues and the fears that some of them may fall foul of a licensing system. I mention that because I was making the point that we need to stick together and don't segregate, as that may make us weaker.

However, I do wonder if we need to make the point that the greatest majority of airgunners in the UK go about their hobby safely and sensibly. Youngsters warned of dangers and trained accordingly, pests controlled but in a manner that tries to ensure a clean kill and minimises wounding and suffering, a lot of well organised target shooting including a lot of fund raising for worthwhile charities. Also, to add that any idiotic behaviour with air rifles that may cause concern to the public, damage to property or God forbid personal injury is abhorred by the greatest majority of airgunners in the UK. Probably more so than non airgunners as it threatens the sport that we love. I think we probably have to include in that hunters who like to brag about taking shots at animals from extreme ranges or through thick branches etc. Let's be honest, when a thread appears on here and someone starts talking about taking head shots at 60 yards they are often shouted down, and told that hunting should be limited to a range where the risk of wounding is minimised. So I'm not inventing this attitude.

Maybe ... just maybe ... this may ask questions as to whether it's clever posting hunting kill pics up all over the internet. I'm not going as far as saying that no hunting pics should be posted, either in the mags or online. I think there is a massive difference ( image portrayed wise ) between a sensibly written hunting article talking about equipment and tactics used, maybe even a photo showing the shot quarry ( never floated my boat to be honest ... I know what a rabbit or a squirrel looks like ... so I'm sure I know what a dead one lying on the floor looks like ), and an article with comments like " ... and FIZZ THWACK, 14gr of BYE BYE hit home with a satisfying thud ", accompanied by some guy in camo, with a big grin on his face, holding up quarry with blood on it's head. Is there a difference between controlling a pest with it's welfare in mind, and holding it's corpse up with a big grin on your face? Is there a difference between how that comes across to non shooting members of the public?

This isn't going to be a battle we can win by making a big noise about it. The Scots found that out. There aren't enough of us Vs them I'm afraid. I hate to use this sickening phrase but this a ... Hearts and Minds campaign.

Just look at what has been happening regarding all the terrorist attacks. There's been a big hearts and minds campaign going on there now for some time. Whenever there is an attack by someone believed to be Muslim, the radio and TV are quickly bombarded by interviews with local Muslim leaders, all condemning the actions of the few that are committing atrocities and claiming to be doing it in the name of Islam. They are basically saying ... This isn't a representation of all of us ... we condemn what these few people are doing too.

I think we need to be doing a similar thing. I don't think it does us any favours pretending that no one does anything stupid with an air rifle. I think we should be saying that we know a minority do some pretty stupid things with air rifles but it is a very small minority and the greatest majority of airgunners in the UK despise and condemn what they are doing. That greatest majority includes many many hunters who get the job done with the animal's welfare in mind, by buying the correct equipment and training and practising how to use it, so that any suffering is minimised or eliminated.

Where you draw the line re blooded kills being held up for display, with the hunter grinning like he's just won the Post Code Lottery, I just don't know. I can't see how that is ever going to shine a bright light upon us.

The fact is ... the papers aren't posting articles about target comps that have just made money for hospices. They aren't saying what a great job airgunners do controlling vermin. They are feeding the hippo by showing graphic photos that will stir great hatred in a massive percentage of the public ( dead animal covered in blood being held up whilst a camo clad airgunner smiles ). You couldn't make it more antagonising if you tried. If you sat down and tried to design an anti airgun poster ... you simply couldn't do any better than that. Why would we want to do that?
Make the complainants work in a halal or kosher abbatoir for a week....