View Poll Results: Does shortening a choked barrel affect accuracy?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES it does affect accuracy.

5 15.15%
  • NO it'll still shoot straight without it.

22 66.67%
  • Pie.

6 18.18%

Thread: Choke removal and accuracy.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    With the greatest of respect, just because I dont punch paper doesn't mean my benchmark is 2" groups at 30 yards.y
    No I wasn't trying to intimate it was. Apologies if it came across that way. I was saying that some people's expectations might be that, because that's their experience. So if you ask them if they've not noticed any drop off after a lop off, the answer would be no.

I remember a mate who I used to shoot with a lot who had a rifle shortened by Mr. Cardew who said he'd probably not notice a loss in group size out to 30yds. At the time we thought 30 yds was a long way... it was all the way to the fence! (...we had a steel backstop)

I see all sorts down the club from people not happy if they don't go through the same hole standing at 25m, to people quite happy with 2" groups at 10m bench-rested (I am not joking). Some are quite happy just doing better groups than their mate. Smiles all around.

As I said it's all about the person's individual benchmark. Just because that might be further or closer or tighter or wider than another's doesn't matter if they're happy with that... but it doesn't mean the answer is always yes either.

It's a bit like asking "do you lose accuracy when you change to cheap pellets..." For some the answer is yes, for some no, and for others they'll say they don't care because the pellets are cheap

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    No I wasn't trying to intimate it was. Apologies if it came across that way. I was saying that some people's expectations might be that, because that's their experience. So if you ask them if they've not noticed any drop off after a lop off, the answer would be no.

I remember a mate who I used to shoot with a lot who had a rifle shortened by Mr. Cardew who said he'd probably not notice a loss in group size out to 30yds. At the time we thought 30 yds was a long way... it was all the way to the fence! (...we had a steel backstop)

I see all sorts down the club from people not happy if they don't go through the same hole standing at 25m, to people quite happy with 2" groups at 10m bench-rested (I am not joking). Some are quite happy just doing better groups than their mate. Smiles all around.

As I said it's all about the person's individual benchmark. Just because that might be further or closer or tighter or wider than another's doesn't matter if they're happy with that... but it doesn't mean the answer is always yes either.

It's a bit like asking "do you lose accuracy when you change to cheap pellets..." For some the answer is yes, for some no, and for others they'll say they don't care because the pellets are cheap
    I get you
    B.A.S.C. member