Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co2 to compressed air for match pistols

Co2 to compressed air for match pistols

Wanted to ask a question about if a Walther CP 3 Co2 match pistol or of similar make and model can be converted to use compress air rather than the complications of filling from a Co2 tank.

Not sure but I think the Steyr LP1 when changed from CO2 to air needed a regulator change.

Firstly I don't understand why you find the CO2 filling is complicated, I can buy CO2 fire extinguishers for £10 that fill for thousands of shots and the pistol cylinder just screws on to it. Press the fire extinguisher lever and it fills instantly. Secondly you can convert CO2 to compressed air if have the correct filling adapter and use an HPA cylinder which is regulated to release air to a maximum of 850-900 p.s.i. The HPA cylinders themselves can be filled to 3000 p.s.i. but are specially made to use for paintball and airsoft use. I converted a Brocock rifle to HPA which made it much more efficient in operation. You will get less shots from a fill of H.P.A. air.

Baz

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4b966bb3.jpg
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 11-12-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Yes. Dont do it. I have a Steyr LP5 converted to pcp.
    It has far less shots now. Not worth the hassle.
    Only downside of most match CO2's is bulkfill. Besides that, they'll stand their own in competition perfectly
    ATB,
    yana

How many shots does your lp5 do to a fill ? My lp1 does 170 easily

The LP5 uses the gas to re-cock the bolt as well as shoot the pellets. It is in effect a blowback pistol so will have a much reduced shot count than a single shot. Having said that I don't seem to have to refill my cylinders that often.
    Baz forgot to mention that to get a good fill in a Co2 cylinder you will need to put the pistol cylinder in the freezer for about half an hour and it can help to put the Fire extinguisher / Co2 bottle somewhere warm during this time.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I have a FWB c10 co2 target pistol, the cylinder (detachable from the pistol) has a fill weight, fill over this and you have efectively removed a safety margin
    http://www.magic9designltd.com/co2-bulk-fill
    Last edited by airgunnut; 12-12-2016 at 01:32 PM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    I have a FWB c10 co2 target pistol, the cylinder (detachable from the pistol) has a fill weight, fill over this and you have efectively removed a safety margin
    http://www.magic9designltd.com/co2-bulk-fill
    My cylinders also have a fill weight but in my experience if you just freeze the cylinder, connect it to the bottle and open the valve on the bottle the weight afterwards is always under the limit. I understand there are some filling techniques which can get more Co2 into the cylinder. Its not a bad idea to weigh the amount of Co2 in the cylinder but I didn't want to frighten off a possible recruit to bulk fill Co2
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

If we freeze the cylinders on the FWB 2 they overfill with liquid and we have to use the vent cap. The hammer spring cannot overcome the valve pressure in the cylinders.

Baz

Manual says venting a bit of co2 will cool the cylinder enough for a good fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    If we freeze the cylinders on the FWB 2 they overfill with liquid and we have to use the vent cap. The hammer spring cannot overcome the valve pressure in the cylinders.

Baz
    If I don't freeze the cylinder on my FWB C20 I only get about 30 shots from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    If I don't freeze the cylinder on my FWB C20 I only get about 30 shots from it.
    This is why you should freeze the cylinder, fill it then weigh it, then vent some if nessasery.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

As gingernut says, just venting the cylinders cools them down enough to get a good fill. Handy at the range when we have not brought the freezer in the car.

Baz

That freezer is heavy.

I had some adapters made so I can fill my fwb c10 from a old soda stream co2 cylinder and to fill the soda stream cylinder from a pub co2 cylinder