Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA R10 or HW100?

BSA R10 or HW100?

Thinking of getting a second hand R10 or HW100 but can't decide so help required please.

They're both knocking around the same price bracket and it will be in .177 cal

So taking everything into consideration what would you go for?

Thanks for any help

Or would you advise something else in the 5 to £600 bracket

Bsa r10.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    R10s are better when they have had the reg replaced, otherwise they are a well documented time bomb HW100s are decent guns, but 2 out of 3 of mine leaked, and they all seem to need work sooner rather than later. Another for the mix would be a Regal - multi shot, very accurate, about 80 good shots, lightweight, very good looking, nothing really goes wrong with them other than some early ones had stiff bolts which Daystate sorted, so you should not fine any of those now anyway
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Bsa r10.
    They are very nice Neil........I think nicer to look at than HW100 but what about the reliability? I heard a few problems with the regulator on R10

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    R10s are better when they have had the reg replaced, otherwise they are a well documented time bomb HW100s are decent guns, but 2 out of 3 of mine leaked, and they all seem to need work sooner rather than later. Another for the mix would be a Regal - multi shot, very accurate, about 80 good shots, lightweight, very good looking, nothing really goes wrong with them other than some early ones had stiff bolts which Daystate sorted, so you should not fine any of those now anyway
    Thank you.......so either could do with a Ratworks fettle soon as I have the funds available

Had both for quite a while, well over 10 years if memory serves me well. BSA R-10 has been flawless. HW100 had to be returned under warranty due to low power (reg problem), also has been resealed twice and the reg stripped and reset. Fortunately by the time I had to reseal it I had learned enough from airgun blog sites and tube videos to be able to fix it myself. Definitely the R-10 if I had to choose between the two

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerphil View Post
    Thank you.......so either could do with a Ratworks fettle soon as I have the funds available
    Both will be excellent guns after one of these, the HW100 is arguably more pointable in carbine form, but the R10 has the shot count, both look better in laminate to me at least. Remember BSA use a 13mm dovetail if you go for one

Both will be excellent guns after one of these, the HW100 is arguably more pointable in carbine form, but the R10 has the shot count, both look better in laminate to me at least. Remember BSA use a 13mm dovetail if you go for one
    Yes I'm on 11-13mm dovetail with my S200 now......I too like the laminates

Thanks for your comments so far

The HW100 can't, under normal circumstances, be double loaded and it has a magazine system so simple that you can load by feel in the dark.

A few years back I nearly bought the Hw100 but I bought a new r-10 instead - BIG mistake. It had several problems, mainly the reg. Eventually repaired under warranty on their 3rd attempt, and then was promptly traded in.
    Finally bought the 100 almost a year ago and its been flawless.
    If you do choose the r-10, don't buy a new one coz BSA regs have a poor reputation and it would be a big gamble. Go for a Used one thats been fettled.
    Or, you could just buy the Hw100

Yes I'm on 11-13mm dovetail with my S200 now......I too like the laminates

Thanks for your comments so far
    You may have miss understood

Your S200 has an 11mm dovetail, but a BSA R10 has a 13mm dovetail, so you need different mounts for it or they do not align correctly, which unfortunately many people don't realise

With you on this one , or even a huntsman classic.

You may have miss understood

Your S200 has an 11mm dovetail, but a BSA R10 has a 13mm dovetail, so you need different mounts for it or they do not align correctly, which unfortunately many people don't realise

Thanks for that.......I didn't know that and thought they were the same mounts

What rail is on the HW100 then?

Cheers

Thanks for that.......I didn't know that and thought they were the same mounts

What rail is on the HW100 then?

Cheers
    11mm for HW and 13mm for the R10

If you go BSA, then either use their mounts, BKLs, or a mount designed for a 13mm rail, the 11mm versions will always through your aim out further down the line, it's pointless to use something from day one you know is the wrong thing for the job - but some people do