Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
In spite of the rather ad hoc gun terminology used here in UK - bullet HEADS, the gun MECH, muzzle BREAKS and so on, and the somewhat adventuous interpretations of the Firearms Acts in a few counties, the Ruger Old Army is actually classed by the makers as a .44" calibre Black Powder Revolver, NOT a .45".

Else we SHOULD be seeing all .303" rifles and carbines as .311".

However, it is my experience that reality has little or nothing to do with much of what goes on in any particular county Firearms & Explosives Licensing Department, and rules/descriptive terms/sundy technicalities are a matter of whimsy rather that fact.

The box marking and instructions that came with MY ROA are quite clear on the subject - it is a .44" cal and nothing else.

But where I live there are other folks with identical guns that have been called .45"s.

........sigh...... .....

tac
Hey TAc

Now you know I trust you implicitly ... but I went through a lot of pain when I got my second ROA - as I had a slot for a 45 and the gun had been deposited with the RFD and tagged as a 44 in his register.

A letter from the nice Ruger company - confirmed it was a 45 & it found it's way onto my ticket without any further ado !

I give you a link to the Ruger webpage that dates my ROA for me & that also states that it is 45 cal

http://www.ruger.com/service/product.../RE-OAKBP.html

Sorrrrrrrryyyyyyyy !

Are we still friends??

Roy