Thread: Ever thought 'That is one ugly gun'.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

I collect early British spring powered air pistols and consider the Cogswell & Harrison Certus to be just about as ugly as you can get. The pistol looks like it was assembled by Wallis and Grommit with some bits seemingly being added as an afterthought during manufacture. The pistol cocks like a Webley, but in the reverse direction which may have infringed the Webley patent leading to a very short production run. Don't really understand why a quality firearm company like Cogswell & Harrison felt the need to associate themselves with an air pistol and especially one of such an inelegant design. It does have a certain quirky appeal, but definitely one for the collector rather than the user.

Brian
    Ungainly, yes, but ugly? I'm not sure..!

Brian what function does that rearmost 'strap' between the frame just above the grip and the breech have?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Ungainly, yes, but ugly? I'm not sure..!

Brian what function does that rearmost 'strap' between the frame just above the grip and the breech have?

Hi Danny,

It's part of the rather crude automatic tap opening mechanism used on the pistol. I am only aware of three vintage spring air pistols which are tap loading, being the Abasmajor, Certus and one of the early Lincoln models. The long screw at the rear is a means of clearing a blocked barrel.

Happy Christmas
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

It's part of the rather crude automatic tap opening mechanism used on the pistol. I am only aware of three vintage spring air pistols which are tap loading, being the Abasmajor, Certus and one of the early Lincoln models. The long screw at the rear is a means of clearing a blocked barrel.

Happy Christmas
    Brian
    Thanks Brian.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.