Thread: Fact or fiction?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leonad

Leonard, i am simply supporting an already proven theory, with my own experiences, i am not trying to impress my ideas on you, and one thing which you persistently fail to understand is : it is not all about pellet weight, it is about the restriction in the bore and how fast or slow you get it moving, this in turn determines the critical piston speed and ultimately the pressure. For the purposes of dieseling and detonation there is a sweet spot (both can be different) where the combination of pellet weight and tightness (bore restriction), piston speed and cylinder pressure culminate in the optimum condition to achieve the desired effect.
    Just because you got the result you did with one type of 10.5 g pellet does not mean you will get the same result with another 10.5g pellet and it does not mean you will not get the same result with a lighter, tighter pellet.
    Admittedly not an easy thing to understand unless you have studied physics, forces and moments. You will often hear shooters say they shoot "x" pellet in their gun and it shoots harshly and they then shoot "y" brand and it shoots sweeter, this is the cushioning effect of slowing the purging of the compression cylinder, both conditions will support dieseling when other conditions are optimum.
    Maybe the original author and gunsmith is a little wiser than has been given credit for?
    kind regards
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    ... it is not all about pellet weight, it is about the restriction in the bore and how fast or slow you get it moving, this in turn determines the critical piston speed and ultimately the pressure. For the purposes of dieseling and detonation there is a sweet spot (both can be different) where the combination of pellet weight and tightness (bore restriction), piston speed and cylinder pressure culminate in the optimum condition to achieve the desired effect.
    Just because you got the result you did with one type of 10.5 g pellet does not mean you will get the same result with another 10.5g pellet and it does not mean you will not get the same result with a lighter, tighter pellet.

Admittedly not an easy thing to understand unless you have studied physics, forces and moments. You will often hear shooters say they shoot "x" pellet in their gun and it shoots harshly and they then shoot "y" brand and it shoots sweeter, this is the cushioning effect of slowing the purging of the compression cylinder, both conditions will support dieseling when other conditions are optimum.
    Maybe the original author and gunsmith is a little wiser than has been given credit for?
    kind regards
    Eric
    Based on your first paragraph, we are essentially in agreement. A conflict of terminology may be the problem - IE - "bore restriction" as opposed to "pellet weight".
    Essentially, as you state, just far too many variables involved to be covered by a single, generalized statement.

I know of no way of quantifying "pellet tightness" in the bore in definable numeric terms, but have found that generally, the heavier pellets produce the desired result, thus I simply use the term "heavy pellets". Perhaps, as you state, the same result could be achieved with a lighter, tighter pellet, however, when a gun is detonating badly, my interest is to stop the detonation, and I reach for what has worked well for me in the past. Experimentation with different other pellets to find one that is lighter and tighter may not be feasible if the gun could be damaged during that experimentation process.

I have studied physics, forces and moments, albeit quite some time ago.
    I was also involved with root cause, and failure mode analysis in an industrial environment.
    Last edited by Leonardj; 10-10-2015 at 12:11 AM.