Thread: BASC and the airgun consultation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Don't just moan on here it's not only about cats it's about storage, stricter anti tamper, licencing etc.
    Write a reasoned response to the Home Office.

firearmsconsultations@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
    I tend to think whatever we do or say will count for nothing. We all know that the gun crime problem in this country is all our fault. The picture will be painted and decisions made regardless os what we do. The joke is it will have naff all effect on the figures because criminals don't tend to have legal firearms anyway.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    I tend to think whatever we do or say will count for nothing. We all know that the gun crime problem in this country is all our fault. The picture will be painted and decisions made regardless os what we do. The joke is it will have naff all effect on the figures because criminals don't tend to have legal firearms anyway.
    Well doing nothing will certainly have no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well doing nothing will certainly have no effect.
    Doing everything possible had a brilliant result in Scotland. Que sera sera.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Doing everything possible had a brilliant result in Scotland. Que sera sera.
    You can't use that excuse. The Scottish government listens to no one. Look at the police for example. They were told they would be charged vat when they merged all the region's and then started crying about it when they got billed for it.

They don't care for facts .it's their way or no way.

The justice minister at the time said the airgun license was going through no matter what.

I would like to think the English government were going to listen . And I'm pretty sure if they wanted to bring in stricter rules they would have done it before now.

This is what he said .
    from a newspaper article in 2013
    Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said: "In 2011, the Scottish Government gave a commitment to introduce a robust system of air weapon licensing designed to enable police to better protect our communities by taking these potentially lethal weapons out of the hands of those who would misuse them.
    "It is no surprise that the consultation into this issue has attracted a significant number of responses expressing strong feelings from both sides of the debate, and I am grateful that people have taken the time to give their opinions on the proposals.
    "We have always been clear that licensing will happen and this has been a valuable exercise in highlighting issues and drawing out concerns around our suggested changes.
    "It is important that we now consider all views submitted as we continue to develop a system of licensing that is fair, proportionate and practicable for police and shooters alike.
    "It is simply not right that in a modern Scotland air guns are available without a licence.
    the bit in red tells you that they are doing it no matter what information or evidence is submitted. Its going to happen and it did it was always going to go through even if everyone disagreed .

He listened to no one despite the police saying it would be a nightmare to "police" and despite the consultation saying it was not required.

As i said above . I would like to think the english government would listen and take all the evidence into consideration before acting and not doing a scottish government and rail road it through like they do with most schemes no matter if it works or not.
    Last edited by bighit; 23-12-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Ah well...i best save up for my new licence and gun cabinet....that if we are still allowed air rifles at sub 12 in 2018....happy new year

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    Ah well...i best save up for my new licence and gun cabinet....that if we are still allowed air rifles at sub 12 in 2018....happy new year
    I hope it does not happen as its a complete waste of time . its costing more than it brings in to run even though they do not come to visit you so there is not police coming to your house that will incur costs to the scheme like it does with firearms and shotgun checks .

18,000 licenses issued (at last count) in scotland and the full number of applicants will not be known until the last firearms or shotgun license is up for renewal in 2021 how many in total will be issued to current airgun owners in scotland .

Basc and the airgun consultation

In Scotland it was pointed out that crimes involving airguns had fallen dramatically year on year for the past decade . It made no difference the SNP wanted airgun licensing because it was a vote winner and that was it .http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistic...e/TrendFirearm

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    You can't use that excuse. The Scottish government listens to no one.
    Neither do the English government or we would still have pistols, Brococks etc etc. All I have said is that I am reseigned to the fact that changes are coming.

This cloaked softly softly approach taken up by the government is to make sure that once the ' ban ' comes in there is no way of challenging it. The Scottish government approach was crude and ' umdemocratic ', on the other hand these guys we are dealing with are slick operators.

If indeed they wished to tighten up any loose ends in the existing legislation the logical approach would have been to ask people who use ' firearms ' , which air rifle is classed as one,, in their pusuit of going about their legitimate lawful business and not open it to the public, cat lovers, tree huggers, bunny feeders, gun haters etc.

This is already heavily loaded against us to start with. The results are quite predictable. Still we should write to our MPs and the people who are supposed to be conducting this ' review '. It would be nice to know the views of the importers and the manufacturers and their responses to the proposed review. I have a funny feeling that money talks and their views carry much more weight than all of us air and powder burning gun users put together. What does our Terry think about all this?

A.G

If licencing or a ban was on the cards, why would they be asking about security when that would be be dealt with as part of a licencing scheme?
    I hope that the result of this review will purely be a confirmation of existing laws or strictening of the storage and security laws, but can't see licencing being suggested in any way, shape or form as it would kill the sport and industry and be an expensive, administrative nightmare. I'm still writing to the HO and going to keep it as concise and short as possible mainly listing facts and figures as I have a feeling, these won't be reviewed thoroughly by the junior workers at the HO
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

If you write in, and they ignore it, and take your guns away, it’s their fault

If you don’t write in, so they don’t even need to ignore it, and take your guns away, it’s your fault

Your choice I guess.