Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the HW95 so bouncy??

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Capitalbee, I guess its still on a standard stroke, has thet.p. been altered? Mine is stock at approx 3mm.

Thanks Max
    Max,
    I'll check it out tonight. My guess is it is standard stroke, as I wasn't aware of Sandwell short stroking models they tune. I'll look at the tp and confirm barrel length. My theory tends to lean towards barrel length and weight, as the common addition on all of mine was the steel moderator. I also previously owned a Diana 280 in .177" cal which had been carbined by a previous owner. Muzzle flip was evident on this with an alloy moderator, so I upped the weight and added a steel one, reducing the flip. I've experienced this with a few .177"s (take 75mm off of a standard Hatsan 55 and you'll definitely know what muzzle flip is!)

Hi Tony, I think I will try some 7.9 grain next. With the previous spring setting at 11.6 ftlbs the 7.9 didn't cause spring twang and shot reasonably accurately. I think the twang is probably caused by increased surge using the heavier pellet. I have tried FTT before but not great accuracy and the M.E. drops quite a bit too. They are heavy and tight in the barrel.
    Yep, exactly my thoughts re the twang caused by increased surge. Shame yours doesn't like the FTT, pointing one even more towards the 7.9s. The other pellet that mine positively loved (and preferred over the Exacts) was the boxed Crosman Premier 7.9. Still available from our sponsor, I think? But they're a harder pellet than the Exact, so I think I'd be trying the 7.9 JSB first.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep, exactly my thoughts re the twang caused by increased surge. Shame yours doesn't like the FTT, pointing one even more towards the 7.9s. The other pellet that mine positively loved (and preferred over the Exacts) was the boxed Crosman Premier 7.9. Still available from our sponsor, I think? But they're a harder pellet than the Exact, so I think I'd be trying the 7.9 JSB first.
    Yep, have some of the boxed premiers too, not tried them recently though.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Curious thread, I loved my 77k&80
    Wasn't the 95 launched to compete with lighter full power break barrels from BSA, Webley, Diana and even maybe Theoben.
    Does the 95 share internals with others in the range?
    Was the rifle rushed out to the market without enough R&D?
    Simple mods improve the rifle which suggests this.
    Air Arms spent a lot of time and money developing the TX200 before launching it to compete with the 77!!
    VAYA CON DIOS

I have nothing technical to add to this thread but I cannot help but notice earlier on that someone made mention of a set back trigger? So I will ask, does this model, the 95K that is, have the unusually long trigger pull length or is/was that the 99?

I own neither the 99 or 95 at the moment but I am considering something with a tad more poke than my collection of 30S's.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    I have nothing technical to add to this thread but I cannot help but notice earlier on that someone made mention of a set back trigger? So I will ask, does this model, the 95K that is, have the unusually long trigger pull length or is/was that the 99?

I own neither the 99 or 95 at the moment but I am considering something with a tad more poke than my collection of 30S's.

Thanks.
    Hi, the 95 doesn't have a setback trigger in fact HW don't do them they are after market only. As to whether the 99 has a longer reach to the trigger im not sure but I doubt the 95s would be classed as short either. I have big mitts and custom stocks on mine so no real issues for me.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

HW95L trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post

Thanks.
    FWIW, Current HW95 trigger.

Hi, the 95 doesn't have a setback trigger in fact HW don't do them they are after market only. As to whether the 99 has a longer reach to the trigger im not sure but I doubt the 95s would be classed as short either. I have big mitts and custom stocks on mine so no real issues for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    FWIW, Current HW95 trigger.
    Thanks for your replies, I removed the image purely to avoid repetition that's all.

It was confirmation of actual measurements that I needed without hijacking the original thread, I'm sure someone who owns both rifles and will chip in.

Thanks again.

Hi Capitalbee, I guess its still on a standard stroke, has the t.p. been altered? Mine is stock at approx 3mm.

Thanks Max
    Hi, just checked and it's standard. Bit of a faff with the barrel still on with the calipers but 3.1mm'ish.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Hi, just checked and it's standard. Bit of a faff with the barrel still on with the calipers but 3.1mm'ish.
    Great thanks for that. I believe Sandwell spec their own springs so maybe thats the key.

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Great thanks for that. I believe Sandwell spec their own springs so maybe thats the key.

Max
    We once stripped a SFS 95 at a Boinger Bash. As you'll, no doubt, be aware, the standard modern two-piece HW spring guide is actually pretty good. The spring fitted the guide beautifully. So our conclusion was that Tony specifies his springs with a view to them being a snug fit on the guide. Just a top hat and fettle to do and job done.

The rifle shot beautifully, by the way.
    Last edited by TonyL; 19-01-2021 at 09:31 PM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

New Red Aussie Seal.

Just fitted this new short stroke red aussie piston seal this afternoon.
    The hw95 piston is machined down to 195g and runs a vortek spring and guides.Lubed up with stp/graphite powder mix.
    Added a slim metal power washer ,rebuilt and test fired.
    With aafd 4.52 the chrono said 10.52 fpe 749 av ,low 747-752 high dv5 sv2.Fine,will increase slightly as the new seal beds in.
    Scope refitted and a few shots fired,a dull thud with no loss of sight picture and hardly any movement,very promising.[IMG]104-8782[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by dearne75 View Post
    Just fitted this new short stroke red aussie piston seal this afternoon.
    The hw95 piston is machined down to 195g and runs a vortek spring and guides.Lubed up with stp/graphite powder mix.
    Added a slim metal power washer ,rebuilt and test fired.
    With aafd 4.52 the chrono said 10.52 fpe 749 av ,low 747-752 high dv5 sv2.Fine,will increase slightly as the new seal beds in.
    Scope refitted and a few shots fired,a dull thud with no loss of sight picture and hardly any movement,very promising.[IMG]104-8782[/IMG]

Hi, sounds great, what was the weight of the piston prior to machining?

Also, how much pre-load with the vortek kit?

Thanks Max
    Last edited by maximus; 20-01-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

According to Bruce's thread in the Useful Tips / Info section, the 95's piston comes in at approx 254 grams, Max.

Dearne75 - sounds nice; be interesting to hear your thoughts after some more extensive testing.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    According to Bruce's thread in the Useful Tips / Info section, the 95's piston comes in at approx 254 grams, Max.

Dearne75 - sounds nice; be interesting to hear your thoughts after some more extensive testing.
    Quite a weight reduction then, you'd think there would be more bounce to combat.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer