Thread: Black Powder Revolvers - Value and Desirability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The OP knows that already - 'OK, so I appreciate a ROA can't be shot in MLAGB comps but would just like one to play with.'

I was replying to Mac42's post - and he clearly does not.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I was replying to Mac42's post - and he clearly does not.

I may have misled you with my post. Its age you know !!!!!!! I have owned 2 ROA in the past and I am well aware that they can.t be shot in MLAGB Spirit of Original Competitions. I did own a Pedersoli Remington which I did shoot competitively, never did any good was just pleased I got it on the target. Just want a ROA have spotted one blue ROA for sale. never been used, the owner wants £550. Have said I am interested, just waiting for my variation to come through. John at Kranks recommends a new Uberti 1858 New Army without rear sites only £450.00. Make a good birthday prezzie.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    I may have misled you with my post. Its age you know !!!!!!! I have owned 2 ROA in the past and I am well aware that they can.t be shot in MLAGB Spirit of Original Competitions. I did own a Pedersoli Remington which I did shoot competitively, never did any good was just pleased I got it on the target. Just want a ROA have spotted one blue ROA for sale. never been used, the owner wants £550. Have said I am interested, just waiting for my variation to come through. John at Kranks recommends a new Uberti 1858 New Army without rear sites only £450.00. Make a good birthday prezzie.

I can thoroughly recommend the fixed sight, Uberti 8" barrel Remington NMA in blued finish which is priced at a very reasonable £320 from Henry Krank and other dealers. I have owned a few Uberti revolvers over the years and have always found them to be excellent straight out of the box. The trigger weights have never needed tweaking and the timing on all the ones I have owned over the years has been perfect with no evidence of the bolt producing the commonly seen line around the circumference of the cylinder. As you are probably aware, the foresight is drift adjustable, so once set, there is probably no need to touch it again while leaving the gun looking more like the original. I also own a stainless ROA and have not found that stainless guns are any more resistant to corrosion provided a proper cleaning regime is employed, so why pay more for something that in my opinion anyway, detracts from the original looking appearance. Although plated finishes were available for some original revolvers which may look similar in appearance to stainless, I'm afraid for me anyway they just don't look quite right for the period. I also have a nitro-conversion 1858 NMA revolver and it's perhaps telling that the manufacturer settled on the standard Uberti Remington as the basis for his products.
    Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 22-01-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I can thoroughly recommend the fixed sight, Uberti 8" barrel Remington NMA in blued finish which is priced at a very reasonable £320 from Henry Krank and other dealers. I have owned a few Uberti revolvers over the years and have always found them to be excellent straight out of the box. The trigger weights have never needed tweaking and the timing on all the ones I have owned over the years has been perfect with no evidence of the bolt producing the commonly seen line around the circumference of the cylinder. As you are probably aware, the foresight is drift adjustable, so once set, there is probably no need to touch it again while leaving the gun looking more like the original. I also own a stainless ROA and have not found that stainless guns are any more resistant to corrosion provided a proper cleaning regime is employed, so why pay more for something that in my opinion anyway, detracts from the original looking appearance. Although plated finishes were available for some original revolvers which may look similar in appearance to stainless, I'm afraid for me anyway they just don't look quite right for the period. I also have a nitro-conversion 1858 NMA revolver and it's perhaps telling that the manufacturer settled on the standard Uberti Remington as the basis for his products.
    Regards
    Brian
    I ended my search with a first-class condition ROA. The ROA had a conversion but included all the bits, we returned it back to black powder unmarked condition. I also, at the same time purchased a Pietta 1858 Model Army Competition they sell new for £1200.00. I paid £400 been shot, by the condition, very little. The Pietta is my competition gun. Now looking for another ROA should then have a matching pair.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Hi,
    Congratulations on acquiring your revolvers which I'm sure will provide you with many years of enjoyment. You now have the benefit of both worlds with a spirit of the original for competition together with an example of a BP revolver if it were to be designed for use today.
    Brian