Thread: Cheap scopes vs expensive scopes on springers.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    A couple that I was drawn towards, (and with etched reticles too which seemed even more puzzling), were only rated for up to 7.5 Joule air rifles. Perhaps someone in the know could shed some light?
    I'm sure JSR sell the Konus scopes. I'd be interested in any answers.
    Which models were you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I'm sure JSR sell the Konus scopes. I'd be interested in any answers.
    Which models were you interested in?
    Both Konus Pro's, the 3-9x32 AO and the 2-7x32 fixed focus ones and yes, the info was gleaned from JSR's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Both Konus Pro's, the 3-9x32 AO and the 2-7x32 fixed focus ones and yes, the info was gleaned from JSR's website.
    I've had a 2-7x32 non AO on an HW95 in .177" and I currently have the 3-9x32 non AO on an SMK xs20 ('95 clone). I've had no problem and both run about 11 ft/lb. They needed re-parrallaxing though.

I have seen a few favourable reviews of Konus scopes, here is one from a guy i trust to be honest and impartial.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg-QyVj3GnY

He's done a few on Konus products, if i had not just bought a Nikon Prostaff efr i would have considered Konus.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    I have seen a few favourable reviews of Konus scopes, here is one from a guy i trust to be honest and impartial.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg-QyVj3GnY

He's done a few on Konus products, if i had not just bought a Nikon Prostaff efr i would have considered Konus.
    I would have been interested in the Konus range if they had made all of their scopes available with a mil dot ret, I'm slowly replacing my older 30/30 ret scopes with mil dots, I think scope makers need to think about fitting their scopes as standard with mil dots now, not sure what the lenses are like on them though.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I've had a 2-7x32 non AO on an HW95 in .177" and I currently have the 3-9x32 non AO on an SMK xs20 ('95 clone). I've had no problem and both run about 11 ft/lb. They needed re-parrallaxing though.
    That's interesting, I think i will take a second look. Thank you.

Most expensive scope I've paid for was a £250 Sightron SII 4-12x40AO HHR. I saw a review where they tested it out on a Diana 52 so figured it would be fine on my tuned 80 .20. Sightron themselves even confirmed it was ok to use.

Within 150 shots the reticle had started to spin. It was a pita to get it replaced too (crap retailer) so in the end I decided I'd only ever use scopes I can afford to break (£100 or so). I've used various 2nd hand scopes and most have been fine. Sold most on because I wasnt using them and they had value elsewhere. However the Tasco AG 4x40 s always going to be attached to my .22 80!

As for Konus - no trouble with them I've found. I'm using a HW80 .177 with a Konus 3-9x32AO and I've had a 3-12x50AO on another springer. I know it says 7.5joules in the blurb but they are very solid. The Konus 3-12z50AOIR I used to own felt like a crowbar. Sold it on because it was so damn heavy and the field of view was narrow.

Thumbs up

15+ years ago i never dared spend more than £100 on a scope for my springers after reading about them wrecking scopes. I still stick too that rule now but it's because none of them ever did and I find them adequate for sub 12 ranges. May have just been lucky but if it ever does happen it wouldn't be a big deal