Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
These permission letters seem all well and good, but I'm afraid I know what my farmer would say if I presented him with a load of official looking documents to read and sign - it'd be something along the lines of "you've got to be ******************ing joking!" followed by "you'd better look elsewhere for somewhere to shoot". If I also started telling my farmer about all the various types of pests and the damage they could cause, he'd be (rightly) insulted and tell me to p*ss off.

We have a very informal arrangement:

We've checked each other out face to face.
He's seen my insurance.
We have each other's phone numbers (including my mobile)
I phone before I go onto his land (so that he knows I'm there and not some trespasser he has to worry about)
I stay out of any fields he's working in.

We certainly haven't signed any agreements, waivers, disclaimers or other made-up legal sounding documents (has anyone actually had a lawyer cast his eye over one of these 'permission' letters - would they have any legal weight?).

It's an entirely different case if you are working in a professional capacity, but for us unpaid hobbyists, I'd think carefully before you alienate a hard won land owner with too much officialdom and 'teaching him to suck eggs'.

Just my humble opinion

Matt
Thanks for your opinion I shall file it in draw B1n