Thread: Hege Siber-A-Lausanne .33 pistol ball moulds & loads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I made a hardness comparator.
    a 62gram center punch, tip sharpened to ca. 100deg. Dropped on lead ball from 180mm high using a brass tube as guide.
    Leaves same size indentation on both balls, cast and H&N.

Just for sake of curiosity did the test on my revolver balls too.
    Scrap lead from airgun range is the softest of those.
    Lead I bought at during one competition this summer (selected the softest ingots for casting) is in the middle
    Wheelweights (or .22 range scrap, not sure which one as I got these from another clubmate) is the hardest.
    Punch left clearly different size indentation on each of those balls.

Quote Originally Posted by JiriK View Post
    I made a hardness comparator.
    a 62gram center punch, tip sharpened to ca. 100deg. Dropped on lead ball from 180mm high using a brass tube as guide.
    Leaves same size indentation on both balls, cast and H&N.

Just for sake of curiosity did the test on my revolver balls too.
    Scrap lead from airgun range is the softest of those.
    Lead I bought at during one competition this summer (selected the softest ingots for casting) is in the middle
    Wheelweights (or .22 range scrap, not sure which one as I got these from another clubmate) is the hardest.
    Punch left clearly different size indentation on each of those balls.
    If your scrap airgun pellets are from H&N then they are about 99.9% pure lead by test, according to DIN. Wheelweights in Finland probably still have antimony in them to harden them in the harsh conditions of driving that you have there. Here in the southern parts of Europe they are banned, and a form of zinc alloy has been in use for many years instead. This stuff will only be of used if you reload for a nitro revolver or handgun, like a .357Mag or .44something or other.

tac

Tac, those airgun pellets came from our club´s 10m range where beginners and visitors shoot. Big variation in mfg and type of pellets, but I´d say mostly RWS and H&N brand.. "Geco" tins are common there, but I think those are made by one of the big companies anyways.

Lead wheelweights are banned here too. I think the guy who gave those balls to me said he cast them a long time ago. Just didn´t use them as they are wrong size for his current revolver.

I´m planning to cast bullets for .38 revolver to be used in CFP competition - If I can find a load that is accurate enough for my gun.