Thread: First HFT rifle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just to expand a little on what AG said about the top end target rifles being used in HFT. The main reason is the amount of adjustability you get built into these rifles as standard, they aren't 'tailor made' and most come with every adjustable bit you'll need. I also just want to say that A.G's comment of 'FT guns are being used in HFT, the likes of Steyr, FWB, FTP900 and Walther' isn't totally correct as most of those rifles were originally 10m jobbies. I have owned a LOT of different rifles over the years and the 6 best grouping (at 55 yards) were.

No1. AA MPR FT that i bought for a club member and tried out first. Stunning to shoot and would consistantly group sub 10mm at 55 yards
    No2. Daystate Platinum that i shot for the Daystate HFT team, stunning grouping rifle but oddly would miss when used on a HFT course??
    No3. My FT Steyr LG100, 14 years old and will group consistantly sub 15mm
    No4. My HFT Steyr LG100, 15 years old and groups as above.
    No5. AA MPR FT, grouped sub 15mm at 55 yards
    No6. AA S400 GML, was a dream to shoot, grouped well and put one or two trophies on the shelf. I only sold it to get a bit more adjustability with the Steyr.

In HFT or FT it's not always the best grouping rifle you want...of course it's one of the primary starting points but other things to take into account are.

How good is it in the wind
    How easily does it come into the shoulder/balance/weight for standers
    How easily does it come into the shoulder/balance/weight for kneelers
    How does it fit for the supported shots

From the above you would assume i'd have gone for a custom stocked MPR but for me, The Steyr ticks more HFT/FT boxes and there's nothing i can't do if there's a problem/servicing.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 26-07-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us