Thread: Black powder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for all of your replies it would seem that black powder is the safest way to shoot this type of gun then. That is a shame as it would seem to limit it to outside shooting not much fun in the winter when its cold and wet.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Oh no it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies it would seem that black powder is the safest way to shoot this type of gun then. That is a shame as it would seem to limit it to outside shooting not much fun in the winter when its cold and wet.
    I shoot mine at an indoor range with no problems (apart from a thick fog after a few rounds )

The extractors soon clear it though.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    I shoot mine at an indoor range with no problems (apart from a thick fog after a few rounds )

The extractors soon clear it though.
    Yes but I bet that there are not meny indoor ranges that will let shoot B/P.

Another question I see in the US they make an adapter so that you can shoot cartridges in black powder revolvers but they say ( cowboy cartridges only ) so I presume they would be black powder cartridges would they.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Would not be legal here, as it would no longer be a muzzle loader.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Yes but I bet that there are not meny indoor ranges that will let shoot B/P.

Another question I see in the US they make an adapter so that you can shoot cartridges in black powder revolvers but they say ( cowboy cartridges only ) so I presume they would be black powder cartridges would they.
    The manufacturers of same recommend either black powder cartridges OR low-powered smokeless, such as the Cowboy Action target loads.

I have one such revolver: never fired it, but plan to this weekend (using low-powered smokeless).

Wish me luck! If you never hear from again, you'll know it doesn't work!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    The manufacturers of same recommend either black powder cartridges OR low-powered smokeless, such as the Cowboy Action target loads.

I have one such revolver: never fired it, but plan to this weekend (using low-powered smokeless).

Jim
    I use Trail Boss powder for reduced rifle loads to conform with range limitations. I believe that this powder was developed for Cowboy Action loads.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Jim
    Hi Jim do not forget to tell us how you get on if we do not hear frome you we will asume that the gun exploded and you have passed on.

Pat

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Hi Jim do not forget to tell us how you get on if we do not hear frome you we will asume that the gun exploded and you have passed on.

Pat
    I'll be sure to post something: assuming I'm able!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Leftie

I'll be sure to post something: assuming I'm able!

Jim
    You'll still have your left hand.

The Bosun's Watch