Thread: K22 Long Barrel Pistol from Caledonian Classic Arms- initial review plus Youtube vid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ^^^^^This^^^^^

I've run CCI Standard through my X Trim Whisper with no problems like the O.P. with the weaker spring. Worked flawlessly, and the moderator reduced the pop considerably. Managed some subs fine too, though you could tell the pistol was on its limit with regards to ammo as the slides recoil became a little sluggish.

You will love the extended mag, I used my two tonight and they ran perfectly.

You got a hell of a birthday present!

Airbrush Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairydavey View Post
    ^^^^^This^^^^^

I've run CCI Standard through my X Trim Whisper with no problems like the O.P. with the weaker spring. Worked flawlessly, and the moderator reduced the pop considerably. Managed some subs fine too, though you could tell the pistol was on its limit with regards to ammo as the slides recoil became a little sluggish.

Have you tried CCI subs, they're the fastest you can get afaik, it would be interesting to see how they worked?

Quote Originally Posted by Airbrush View Post
    Have you tried CCI subs, they're the fastest you can get afaik, it would be interesting to see how they worked?
    I've only tried the winnie subs so far, next time I buy some ammo I'll see what other stuff I can get to try out.

Wouldn't mind trying the Agulia subs but can't find them down here.

Airbrush Guest
    CCI were the only subs to work in my BAR 15 .22 when I first got it, now it'll shoot anything.

Well I'm willing to try out most ammo with it, with exception of anything by Remington. That stuff doesn't go anywhere near any of my guns.

Impressed with mine, it isn't ammo fussy at all so far.

Subs In the K22

^^^^^This^^^^^

Hi Can you please tell me which make of subs you were using as i am trying to find a make that will feed ok Thanks Paul.

Was a while ago but if I recall correctly, they were Winchester subs.

My gun came with a strong recoil spring and a weaker one. I had to run with the weaker spring and the recoil was sluggish and not snappy though the pistol did feed and fire them.

Subs In the K22

Was a while ago but if I recall correctly, they were Winchester subs.

My gun came with a strong recoil spring and a weaker one. I had to run with the weaker spring and the recoil was sluggish and not snappy though the pistol did feed and fire them.
    Hi I took the pistol up to the tunnels shooting range over the weekend which gave me the opportunity to to give the pistol a good work out. Again I found the pistol shot well with CCI mini mags and other standard velocity ammo. Anyway 300 Rounds later, time to try the subs again. First the Winchester sub which gave intermittent reliability, then Eley subs same again, then CCI subs same again. Time to change to the low power spring, unfortunately could not get the inner mod tube off the barrell, it was stuck solid, so was unable to try the low power springs. Back at home I had to take a blowtorch to the inner mod tube to remove it, as it was full of crud. I think I will have to clean the internals of the mod after every 50 rounds or so. Back up to the tunnels next week to try out the low power springs. Many thanks for your reply Thanks Paul.

To make cleaning easier I use a small amount of bearing grease on the inside of the mod end caps where they slip over the barrel, and a small amount on the muzzle thread (and I do mean a small amount). Helps removing those caps a lot easier after firing.

As for the inner mod tube, I ditched that, the spring, and the washer. I use a tube consisting of fine bronze mesh (roughly 150 holes per inch or finer) rolled several times over the ported portion of the barrel which I have small zip ties holding it together. Hard to explain (I'll take a pic at some point), but I personally think it's more effective than the original design and makes the gun easier to clean. Many older mod/suppressor designs used mesh so it's not a new idea.

The later whispers don't use an inner tube etc at all, the barrel is ported only just back from the muzzle and the whole mod body works as a big expansion chamber in a similar manner to a reflex mod. Pics of both older and newer whisper mod guts are in Airbrushes and my own posts one or two pages back in this thread.
    Last edited by Hairydavey; 19-01-2015 at 12:18 AM.

To make cleaning easier I use a small amount of bearing grease on the inside of the mod end caps where they slip over the barrel, and a small amount on the muzzle thread (and I do mean a small amount). Helps removing those caps a lot easier after firing.

As for the inner mod tube, I ditched that, the spring, and the washer. I use a tube consisting of fine bronze mesh (roughly 150 holes per inch or finer) rolled several times over the ported portion of the barrel which I have small zip ties holding it together. Hard to explain (I'll take a pic at some point), but I personally think it's more effective than the original design and makes the gun easier to clean. Many older mod/suppressor designs used mesh so it's not a new idea.

The later whispers don't use an inner tube etc at all, the barrel is ported only just back from the muzzle and the whole mod body works as a big expansion chamber in a similar manner to a reflex mod. Pics of both older and newer whisper mod guts are in Airbrushes and my own posts one or two pages back in this thread.
    Hi I now have had time to look at the pictures of the 2 versions of the whisper barrels it seems that having only got mine a week ago I have the older version. Thanks for your reply Paul.

Mag problem sorted

Just an update on my sticking Mag problem.

I took the Mag apart, quite easy just tap out the pin on the base.
    Apart from the spring and the pin, all the parts are plastic.

I found that the two buttons you hold to pull down the spring to load ammo is made of round plastic in the middle.
    This was rubbing against the body of the Mag & wearing a grove into it.
    I used a small fine file to rub down the inside of the body of the Mag & to try & round off the button again in the middle.
    Stretched the spring very slightly, cleaned it all off & reassembled.

The Mag is no longer sticking & appears to be working properly again.

How long it lasts though, before it does it again?

Will have to contact Caledonia Classic Arms to see if they sell replacement internals for the Mags.

Stuart