Thread: .410 Baikal s/b Hushpower

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    I find mine pretty loud- but it's only had 25 cartridges through it, eley 3'' subs. It does appear to be getting quieter with use as I was told to expect. (the can needs sooting up apparently. Anyone else found this?
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    I find mine pretty loud- but it's only had 25 cartridges through it, eley 3'' subs. It does appear to be getting quieter with use as I was told to expect. (the can needs sooting up apparently. Anyone else found this?
    Oh yes, they get much deader-sounding as time goes by and it gets all coated inside. Also, you soon realise that its report , though sounding harsh to you, doesn't even stir horses 30yards away....
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    You'll find 2.5" much quieter than the 'subs', I think just about every Hushpower shooter has found that.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    You'll find 2.5" much quieter than the 'subs', I think just about every Hushpower shooter has found that.
    God yeah, and way cheaper! That said, the hushpower carts throw even tighter patterns...so they can come in handy for some purposes. Generally though, the express are different class. Anyone tried the 3" version of them?
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

Quote Originally Posted by richness View Post
    God yeah, and way cheaper! That said, the hushpower carts throw even tighter patterns...so they can come in handy for some purposes. Generally though, the express are different class. Anyone tried the 3" version of them?
    Yup, I got some when my middle-of-nowhere-only-open-two-days-per-week supplier ran out of 2.5". Basically I don't think the extra 2gm of shot justifies the extra noise, although they do not sound as fierce as the Eley subs. Living in hill country, every sound comes rolling back to me and everyone in the glen, which is why I bought the hushpower.

I am seriously tempted to buy the kit to check the velocity of the Eley subs, just so I could embark on a dispute with them. Really I think their sub is over-stuffed, 18gm is awfully close to a light 20 bore load. Making a cartridge for hushpower they should have used a lighter load to help keep the noise down.

Quietest of all I've tried are 11gm Hull 2.5", sometimes with them I've just heard the hammer click and thought it was a misfire. But you've got to have enough pellets in the pattern so my favourite are 14gm 2.5" Express. I imagine that in the Baikal they are even more subdued than in my Mossberg.

.410 Hushpower

I've had a .410 Hushpower for about 12 months. Its a marvellous tool for vermin, especially near to houses. I have always used Eley 2 1/2 and 3" cartridges because of their fibre wad. I thought I had read somewhere that you should not use cartridges with plastic wads with these guns. Anybody know for definite?
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philifa View Post
    I've had a .410 Hushpower for about 12 months. Its a marvellous tool for vermin, especially near to houses. I have always used Eley 2 1/2 and 3" cartridges because of their fibre wad. I thought I had read somewhere that you should not use cartridges with plastic wads with these guns. Anybody know for definite?
    Phil
    You speak the truth, Hushpower recommend fibre wads only. However, only Eley seem to do a .410 with fibre, and I can only get them mail order from Just Cartridges at £32 carriage charge. I have ordered from them once to get some so-called subsonics, but I was not happy with a delivery driver handing me an unwrapped slab of cartridges at my gate.

The petals do get ripped off long plastic wads such as Express use, but there seems to be no real problem. I've fired 200+ plastic wads through my Hushpower, and I believe others here have fired many more without incident. Some makers use the short petal-less wad that passes through undamaged.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in fibre wads rather than bits of plastic laying around, and I would like to follow Hushpower's advice, but Eley are just not widely available.

Ultimately you make the choice. If you do get an unsafe occurence from using plastic wads then Hushpower have covered their butts, but I don't think it will happen.

Re. plastic wads, York Guns recommend that if you use them with their moderated Stealth shotguns you check before reloading to ensure that the bore is clear. If you do this I can't see it ever being a problem.

HTH