Thread: Ballistol, but which one?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Many years ago I bought a tin of Balistol, and a "pen" that you can refil with Balistol, then "draw" a thin film of oil where ever you want.. it like a marker pen for oil...

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Many years ago I bought a tin of Balistol, and a "pen" that you can refil with Balistol, then "draw" a thin film of oil where ever you want.. it like a marker pen for oil...
    Like this? I keep one in my gun bag

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DIY-Tools...er/B0012M9J2K/

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Like this? I keep one in my gun bag

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DIY-Tools...er/B0012M9J2K/
    no, one of these..

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...-pen-15-ml.htm

Thats very good, but at almost £400 per litre, its a lot to pay just for the convenience. I think the 1/2litre can at around £15 plus a small dropper bottle or pump spray is a little more reasonable.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Thats very good, but at almost £400 per litre, its a lot to pay just for the convenience. I think the 1/2litre can at around £15 plus a small dropper bottle or pump spray is a little more reasonable.
    But the pen is refillable..

I bought the pen, and a 1ltr tin of Balistol... that wil probably last longer than i will..

But the pen is refillable..

I bought the pen, and a 1ltr tin of Balistol... that wil probably last longer than i will..
    That's a lot more economic then. No doubt that it goes a long, long, way.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

After reading a thread (on another forum) about a test that involved various oils including gunex being applied to bare sheet steel pieces then the pieces left outside in all weathers,the gunex kept the metal rust free even after 3 weeks by all accounts....so that is what I now use,does pong a bit though

https://www.ballistolstore.co.uk/wea...product_id=130
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

I buy it in 500 ml tins and then decant into a 50ml pump spray bottle. Because it is compatible with metal, wood and leather, it can be applied reasonably liberally with impunity.

Lovely stuff.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

I get empty vaping containers from my mate to put different oils in, after a good wash-out. They have quite a fine tip for precision application, not as fancy as an amazon one, but free!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Be careful though, it stinks!
    It does a bit! I read somewhere that you would get used to it but bggr me it made my nostrils tingle!

I chose the universal oil after a long look into oils. I also chose it because it's ok on your skin.

Bought the glass bottle rather than the spray as I didn't want overspray everywhere and as others said, I keep I rag an a Ziploc bag.
    BASC Member

Its great stuff. It keeps the Mrs out of my gun room.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    It does a bit! I read somewhere that you would get used to it but bggr me it made my nostrils tingle!

I chose the universal oil after a long look into oils. I also chose it because it's ok on your skin.

Bought the glass bottle rather than the spray as I didn't want overspray everywhere and as others said, I keep I rag an a Ziploc bag.
    And the big benefit to me is that it doesn't matter too much if it does get on the wood as it doesn't damage it, unlike most mineral oils.

Almost every used shotgun I've seen on sale has a black 'line' on the wood, just where it joins the action. That's mineral oil damage....

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    And the big benefit to me is that it doesn't matter too much if it does get on the wood as it doesn't damage it, unlike most mineral oils.

Almost every used shotgun I've seen on sale has a black 'line' on the wood, just where it joins the action. That's mineral oil damage....
    Agreed!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Ballistol smells like liquorice and lager mixed - what's not to like?
    Last edited by vestlenning; 21-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.