Thread: BSA Spitfire pros/cons.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks again for all the comments. I've just got back from viewing and glad I went....... Stock is in good nick apart from the finish ( some fence treatment by the look and feel ) and the metalwork is in exceptionally good condition. Not quite 10/10 but a good 8.5 or 9 at least I'd say, and holds air and shoots very well. BUT

Turns out it wasn't just the one, there was another ( has a leak ) "for spares" included in the price. No brainer really then eh?

I was just putting them into the slips I took when he said he had a hard case I could have for a tenner if I wanted, another no brainer. As he came downstairs with it he commented it felt heavier than it should and upon opening discovered his old Westlake he had forgotten he had. He shut the case straight away and said I could have that too f.o.c..

so to summon up I went out to look at a BSA Spitfire and came away with a pair, plus a hardcase and a cheap plinker for a tenner extra. Happy bunny or what.

couple of pics here

https://imgur.com/a/zBw5F

btw, anyone know what the front sight on the Westlake is from originally please? Held moulded plastic with a pair of grub screws thru the bottom to hold it on the barrel. tia
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Thanks again for all the comments. I've just got back from viewing and glad I went....... Stock is in good nick apart from the finish ( some fence treatment by the look and feel ) and the metalwork is in exceptionally good condition. Not quite 10/10 but a good 8.5 or 9 at least I'd say, and holds air and shoots very well. BUT

Turns out it wasn't just the one, there was another ( has a leak ) "for spares" included in the price. No brainer really then eh?

I was just putting them into the slips I took when he said he had a hard case I could have for a tenner if I wanted, another no brainer. As he came downstairs with it he commented it felt heavier than it should and upon opening discovered his old Westlake he had forgotten he had. He shut the case straight away and said I could have that too f.o.c..

so to summon up I went out to look at a BSA Spitfire and came away with a pair, plus a hardcase and a cheap plinker for a tenner extra. Happy bunny or what.

couple of pics here

btw, anyone know what the front sight on the Westlake is from originally please? Held moulded plastic with a pair of grub screws thru the bottom to hold it on the barrel. tia

You done well there buddy and the spare one will be ideal if you want a try at sealing yourself,
    I've just put a rail on mine to fix my night vision for the rats, I think being single shot and a easy access to load pellet along with easy break barrel cocking will be ideal for night shooting plus I won't need the shot count,

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post

couple of pics here

Looks a good buy, and the front sight on the B2 looks a lot like the one fitted to a target Spitfire ! John Bowkett told me the main cause of leaking is a Teflon seal that must fit exactly, and sometimes has a little corrosion near it when stored for a prolonged time. People who do their own repair tend to replace this with different material which stops the leak but causes erratic shot f.p.s. each time you start firing the rifle after leaving it unused.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

my mate makes his seals out of delrin not ptfe and they work fine both sealing wise and mine seems consistant when shot other the chrono

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    my mate makes his seals out of delrin not ptfe and they work fine both sealing wise and mine seems consistant when shot other the chrono
    Delrin worked for me also.

Nice buy mate! 👍

I have a mint spitfire with a gourgoeus stock and have recently had it serviced and blueprinted but Jon bowkett. It is a tack driver and for some reason I can shoot so accurately with it stranded unsupported at 45 yards that it still baffles me ? It’s just so steady on aim that I can only put it down to the barrel is quite long and with the Silencer must just bance my wobble perfectly.

It’s a delight to use and I’m very glad I bought it, definately a speacial rifle and if you think about it it’s a true one off piece of gineus which you are lucky to own if you do....I sure am😊

Enjoy
    Atb
    Daniel

I've got a Firebird in .22 and I have a hard time missing with it. It's much easier to take out in the field then my S-10 or Rapid. Its had a slow leak for about 5 years and takes about 2 months to empty. I've been pretty consistent now with dry firing it. I also bought a non working Spitfire for $60 I'd like to get fixed but no one in the US works on them. I ended up taking the barrel off and putting it on my Lightning and it's now more accurate then the original barrel, not sure if they hand selected the Spitfire and Firebird barrels but both are take drivers. One thing I really like is the Antibounce device on them, it cuts down on the report and I dont use a LDC. If it holds air and the price is reasonable you'll get a very accurte and consistent airgun.

Quote Originally Posted by xmdx13x View Post
    I've got a Firebird in .22 and I have a hard time missing with it. It's much easier to take out in the field then my S-10 or Rapid. Its had a slow leak for about 5 years and takes about 2 months to empty. I've been pretty consistent now with dry firing it. I also bought a non working Spitfire for $60 I'd like to get fixed but no one in the US works on them. I ended up taking the barrel off and putting it on my Lightning and it's now more accurate then the original barrel, not sure if they hand selected the Spitfire and Firebird barrels but both are take drivers. One thing I really like is the Antibounce device on them, it cuts down on the report and I dont use a LDC. If it holds air and the price is reasonable you'll get a very accurte and consistent airgun.
    Bowket told me that he advised BSA to use the same rifling specs that were used on the SuperTen range for both the Spitfire and Firebird. The barrels are to pcp specs and choked unlike the springers. The service he does on them includes upgrading internal parts to cure all leaks, better barrel lock up and trigger.

I checked with Bowket over the .177"specs. I prefer .22" for Spitfire The HF calibre in your preferred .177" with 15" barrel will give 50 shots from its 50cc reservoir. Only about 30 with the shorter 10" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by grieva View Post
    Delrin worked for me also.
    I dont think Benelli is talking about the delrin exhaust valve causing low shots if the rifles left for a while.