Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bedding in a HW100 stock

Bedding in a HW100 stock

I've got a little bit of movement on my HW100, it was first noticed when the POI changed vertically when swapping between day shooting and when the Nite site was fitted to the scope.

I'd been scratching head over this for a while and finally spoke to Garry C at MTC who kindly explained there must be movement somewhere.

What I found is that when holding the stock in one hand and the action with the other a very slight 'click' could be heard as there was indeed a fraction of movement between the action and the stock.

The other day I was reading Shooting Sports (June 2012) and found an article written by Terry Almond about synthetically bedding in your PCP's stock using Araldite. In his article Terry did this to a Daystate MK3 to lift the air cylinder off the stock as he was concerned about marginal inconsistencies caused by the expansion and contraction of the cylinder as it pushed on the stock.

In my case I want to replace the slivers of plastic that I've used to stop the movement with a more permanent option, but it should be the same process - naturally I don't end up with my action permanently araldited to the stock, so has any one else on here done this and got any tips?

thanks

Ed

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    Remove the o-ring from the figure-8 clamp so the barrel is fully free-floating.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffybuck View Post
    Remove the o-ring from the figure-8 clamp so the barrel is fully free-floating.
    That wont stop the (click) of the action moving, This problem does exist on a few HW100 (mine included) There is a few threads on the Weihrauch forum about this, So far as i know there is no definitive answer.(one would be nice).
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

[QUOTERemove the o-ring from the figure-8 clamp so the barrel is fully free-floating. ][/QUOTE]

That's what the front stock screw attaches into, I think a replacement is available somewhere that only goes around the air cylinder rather than both the cylinder and the barrel. As I mainly hunt with it and the barrel sometimes takes the inevitable knock I chose to keep it on.

ta

Ed

Slight movement,,,,,

Last edited by LittleDragon; 01-09-2014 at 09:50 PM.

That wont stop the (click) of the action moving, This problem does exist on a few HW100 (mine included) There is a few threads on the Weihrauch forum about this, So far as i know there is no definitive answer.(one would be nice).
    Packing it out with a little soft plastic has stopped the movement in the short term - I used frame guard that's for covering mountain bike frames. I'm pretty convinced the araldite method will work too, I just don't want to cock it up!

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    That wont stop the (click) of the action moving.
    Possibly not, but it puts an end to any POI shift.

Stopping the action moving in the stock can be done with a bit of packing.

Bladerunner - Where did you buy one from, I've searched for Airmaster 88 website but not found anything?

cheers

Ed

Cant argue mate, mine has awesome accuracy ,, and its free floating.

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    Bladerunner - Where did you buy one from, I've searched for Airmaster 88 website but not found anything?

cheers

Ed
    Trying to find the link myself now,Seems like the site has been removed or maybe it just hiding,will post if i fine an easy way to their site, if not you might have to phone them.

Araldite ? sounds like it would be messy,stock bedding kits are available but a friend used a bit of bike innertube and he said it worked fine i think i would give that a go first if it was mine.

Hi, when i first had my daystate mk 4, i noticed there was a slight movement of the action in the stock when i tilted it to one side.
    So i got the round piece of sponge that you get in a pellet tin pushed it down in the stock where the action fits. I then cut the surplus off the sides and glued it in.
    I must add, i did leave it for a while before glueing, to let it bed in. Job done no movement. I hope this helps.

Plenty of tips on youtube about rifle bedding, mostly CF but the same techniques apply. I for one won't use araldite, devcon is generally regarded as the best bedding compound but I think if you spend £5.00 on quicksteel you could get the same result
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Hi,
    On the underside of the action where the stock bolt is there is a little ridge that can cause a see saw effect. Instead of packing, I've taken down the indentation this ridge has made in the stock itself. No more clicking. However id still free float the barrel.
    si
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016