Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Buccaneer... great fun...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    a crosman 766 barrel liner would make a good donor if you can find a one being broken for spares.
    I did almost exactly that one one of my scoprions - albeit with a 2200 barrel (same skinny crosman configuration) perfect, as you say, and a big power increase when the pellet doesn't slide an inch down the barrel before firing !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
    Someone off here bought mine,was it you sir?.
    That is a possibility, a long time ago, but I can't say for sure as I've bought several over the years, and also have the Shadow Trooper version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
    Someone off here bought mine,was it you sir?.

Bob, I wish i'd have bought that Shadow from you when you sent me the pics!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

BSA Buccaneer... great fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I did almost exactly that one one of my scoprions - albeit with a 2200 barrel (same skinny crosman configuration) perfect, as you say, and a big power increase when the pellet doesn't slide an inch down the barrel before firing !
    The crosman barrels are very accurate too & not at all pellet fussy I found, shoot almost all good quality pellets well. Did you araldite your liner in?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    The crosman barrels are very accurate too & not at all pellet fussy I found, shoot almost all good quality pellets well. Did you araldite your liner in?
    Yes, accuracy pleasantly surprised me. the shallow, fine rifling probably helps with sealing and efficiency too.
    Just used Loctite - the regular medium stuff.. there's a huge bonding area and not much force on the barrel.

Rgds - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    That's in lovely condition John.
    Regards
    Les..
    Hi Les

It is quite a nice old thing but I can't get my thumb through the hole!! I must be getting a bit plump or something!!!!

By the way, When I bought it the rearsight and safety had been removed for some reason and were in a small plazzie bag, I thought i'd put them on, There was a long screw and a short screw- I put them in wrong, The long screw I put in the safety blocked the passage of the long hammer and snapped it clean off!!, One flipping shot and it was Kaput!!

I had a running search on fleabay for a Buccaneer trigger and a Scorpion trigger, Eventually one turned up and I won it!!, I put it back together with the correct screw in the safety and all's well!!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Les

It is quite a nice old thing but I can't get my thumb through the hole!! I must be getting a bit plump or something!!!!

By the way, When I bought it the rearsight and safety had been removed for some reason and were in a small plazzie bag, I thought i'd put them on, There was a long screw and a short screw- I put them in wrong, The long screw I put in the safety blocked the passage of the long hammer and snapped it clean off!!, One flipping shot and it was Kaput!!

I had a running search on fleabay for a Buccaneer trigger and a Scorpion trigger, Eventually one turned up and I won it!!, I put it back together with the correct screw in the safety and all's well!!!

John
    Are you bringing it to a bash any time soon?,what cal is it in?.
    Regards
    Les.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I bought a cheap, tatty Scorpion when I was 17. And the trigger was one of the stand-out features that I remembered about it, JB. Did I remember BSA quoting back in the day that the trigger mechanism was of the Martini design?

And yes, Les, I was one of the fortunate few that had a go with yours at the last Bash. Thank you. It was excellent and certainly far better than I expected. And, in Buccaneer format, the firing cycle was so much sweeter and more benign than I remember the handful of a pistol demonstrating.
    Hi Tone
    Apart from meeting some fabulous people ,like your Good self at the Boinger bash, it's also a great opportunity to have a go with some rare and unusual airguns that you may have only seen in photos or read about.I do love the older airguns.
    Atb
    Les..

Got to bring my scorpions and buccanneer to the next bash - personally I think they are both quite nice to shoot - in fact i can't think of any current competition for either...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Are you bringing it to a bash any time soon?,what cal is it in?.
    Regards
    Les.
    It's .22 cal Les, i'll bring it to the next bash if I can remember to put it in the car!

John

Piston lengths

Just to explain the earlier comments ref piston length.. the overall lengths are the same, but the cocking slots and sear engagement points differ..

The one on the left is the regular short stroke, with full piston head and buffer arrangement.

The other two have are long stroke; the sear engagement is further forwards, meaning the piston has to be pushed further back to engage, increasing stroke.

The middle one has been modified to remove the buffer washer - gives about 0.5mm clearance on the cocking slot - too tight really, but this represents as long as you can go for a buccaneer stroke just by spacing the piston head spigot inside the piston body to remove the slack after you remove the buffer washer. I will be changing it to take a diana 28mm parachute seal and see what power we can get out of it

Last edited by Shed tuner; 09-01-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Got to bring my scorpions and buccanneer to the next bash - personally I think they are both quite nice to shoot - in fact i can't think of any current competition for either...
    Diana LP5M (discontinued) or LP8M. I particularly want one of the former, to compare to my Scorp.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Diana LP5M (discontinued) or LP8M. I particularly want one of the former, to compare to my Scorp.
    Yeah, the magnum is on my radar too...

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    It's .22 cal Les, i'll bring it to the next bash if I can remember to put it in the car!

John
    Looking forward to having a go with it, if that's ok.
    Atb
    Les..

Yeah, the magnum is on my radar too...
    I have a LP5M in .22 I'll bring it to the next bash and we can compare it with our Scorpion's.
    Les..