Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning to Paypal users

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Graeme Guest
    Is there a time limit ? I can think of a yank who owes me $360 for goods not sent, but it was a wile ago now.. But other than that it's very disturbing news

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Is there a time limit ? I can think of a yank who owes me $360 for goods not sent, but it was a wile ago now.. But other than that it's very disturbing news
    I think you have to sort it through your card issuer (CC) but check the paypal website
    "There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England". - Winston Churchill

Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed
    The best way to sort payment is to give your purchaser your bank name, account number and sort code and ask them to go to a branch of the bank and pay into your account in cash.

You are giving nothing away that is not printed on every cheque you have ever written.
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Flannelmeister View Post
    The best way to sort payment is to give your purchaser your bank name, account number and sort code and ask them to go to a branch of the bank and pay into your account in cash.

You are giving nothing away that is not printed on every cheque you have ever written.
    Just as easy to do the transfer online. As users of an online forum most of us are surely OK with using a computer to do tasks like that.

That being said, I have used paypal loads of times and find it fine.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Just as easy to do the transfer online.
    Indeed it is but there is normally a time for the money to clear if your purchaser's bank is different from your own.

If somebody wants an item sent quickly (and after shelling out cash who doesn't?) then there is no quicker yet secure way than paying the cash into the sellers bank account.
    .177 HW97K

Surely if you do a bank transfer then there is no protection for the buyer. What does he do if the seller doesnt post the items?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger1234 View Post
    Surely if you do a bank transfer then there is no protection for the buyer. What does he do if the seller doesnt post the items?
    Exactly the same as if he had paid by any other method, try to get money back with the added advantage of knowing the bank details to give to police to help them trace the person if it goes that far.
    .177 HW97K

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by smudger1234 View Post
    Bear in mind that if you use paypal for shooting related transactions you have no protection anyway. Paypal's terms and conditions specifically exclude shooting related deals. Funny that, given paypal is American owned.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Absolutely correct, easy to do on-line too and as safe and convenient as possible.

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated

Even better to use electronic transfer
    if you are connected to internet banking (BANKING I said) virtually instant transaction, unfortunately many people distrust the system but, as you say, the only required info is on the cheques anyway.
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

Only one method offers both buyer and seller protection, Pay pal. Electronic transfer, personal transfer or paying cash in to the account are all the same. Sure you can call the police if it goes wrong, but prove it. Yes, you put money in to an account, but what for? Prove it. Far to easy to get ripped off.
    Not everyone will accept pay pal and sometimes you have to take a risk. But remember many people don`t or can`t use people for the wrong reason ie, commit fraud, have been banned or trying to avoid the taxman to name a few.
    Sure, sometimes people have problems with pay pal but far fewer than those who effectively hand cash over to a total stranger.
    I know which method i prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper1CG View Post
    Only one method offers both buyer and seller protection, Pay pal.
    Sure, sometimes people have problems with pay pal but far fewer than those who effectively hand cash over to a total stranger.
    I know which method i prefer.
    Sniper1CG - I take it that you have good experience of PayPal when things went bad for you and they sorted it for you? How helpful were they and what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Sniper1CG - I take it that you have good experience of PayPal when things went bad for you and they sorted it for you? How helpful were they and what happened?
    It`s not so much good or bad. Yes i`ve had a few occasions where things have gone wrong, and sometimes it took quite a while to sort out. But it got sorted in the end. Now on the one occasion it went wrong and i had not used pay pal, i ended up loosing out. After you`ve got the police involved, given statements, wasted loads of time, felt like a total idiot after being asked "why would you pay money straight into his account". In the end only to be told there`s not enough evidence to prosecute. Some lessons are learnt the hard way.
    If you can afford to loose it, then fine take a risk, not everyone is out to rip you off. If not try use a system that offers some form of security.
    This forum even has a thread offering an intermediary service for making payment. You don`t need this kind of service if you use pay pal. Accountability and guarentees = lower risk, but nothing is ever 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Although banks won't tell you this, the period during which you can effect a chargeback varies between 60 and 90 days from the date of the transaction.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I thought when using pay pal, you are notified before a payment is reversed?
    On the occasion i claimed money back through pay pal for goods not received, i had to submit a form explaining why i wanted a refund. This was then forwarded on to the other party, who had to agree to refund the money.