Thread: 4.49 or 4.50 - what should I use and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The only way to be certain of your pellet size is to put them through a sizer.

The "competition grade" pellets may be more consistent than the cheaper offerings, but to be sure and confident, it would be best to mike a good number.

When I checked a selection of pellets a couple of years back, none of them corresponded in any dimension with what was printed on the tin, even the AA Fields. I measured head and skirt, both over two diameters, 90 degrees apart.

Then I bought a sizer from UK Neil!
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    The only way to be certain of your pellet size is to put them through a sizer.

The "competition grade" pellets may be more consistent than the cheaper offerings, but to be sure and confident, it would be best to mike a good number.

When I checked a selection of pellets a couple of years back, none of them corresponded in any dimension with what was printed on the tin, even the AA Fields. I measured head and skirt, both over two diameters, 90 degrees apart.

Then I bought a sizer from UK Neil!

Good idea!.but to get back to the original question posed by this thread - maybe we should ask what size of sizer - and why?

...and does it really matter?

Consistancy of the pellets always matters, we all agree, but is the size difference between 4.49 and 4.50 of any significance?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have been measuring my R10 pistol weight 4.49 and 4.50, they are more consistent compared to cheaper pellets as derekm is saying but some of the 4.50 are a touch smaller than the 4.49.
    (They are great in my FAS 604, which I had not used for a few months ,I had forgotten what a great pistol they are.)
    Evo 10 Compact.

This thread may be helpful to the new one just launched regarding Geco pellets as there is a lot of good valuable information reported here on these (and other) pellets.

Thanks zooma, hadn't noticed this thread. Very useful and very informative. Thanks again for bumping it up.
    Walther CPM 1

RWS Meisterkugeln

Quote Originally Posted by john_almighty View Post
    Thanks zooma, hadn't noticed this thread. Very useful and very informative. Thanks again for bumping it up.
    No problem John,

If cost is a serious consideration, I can tell you that since this thread was last "alive" we have had plenty of time to shoot and use several thousand Meisterkugeln pellets in 4.50 and 4.49 and can report they are still as good as when they were used to set all of those world records that were won with them, and at only £6.00 a tin there is no real compromise on performance whilst still making a useful cash saving over all of the other "top spec" pellets.

RWS is perhaps the brand stocked by the most dealers, and so you should be able to find them most good dealers - if you have any problems finding them - send me a PM.
    Last edited by zooma; 14-06-2012 at 11:03 AM.

I noticed a new thread today asking for advice about the best flat head pellet for use when shooting air pistol at 6 yards.

There is so much valuable information about match pellets in this thread that I thought I would dig it out and get it back on the front page again as there will be a lot of people that will have joined the BBS since this thread was last seen ( 52 pages ago since the last contribution!) who may find it interesting.

The thread was started when I returned to air weapons shooting after many years away and found the choice of .177 pellets dimensions somewhat bewildering, but as the thread gained momentum some very good contributions regarding match pellet choice was given and it will still be very helpful today.