Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst air pistol design ever?

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    One of these days I'll pay RR a visit and rescue those poor old Wobblies
    Do you mean the members?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Do you mean the members?
    Are "they" not beyond that ?

Leo actually. [/QUOTE]

Wasn't that a film ?

Brian

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    RO80? Which one was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wadhill1 View Post
    RO 71, 72 76, and 80.

Utter rubbish but I still manged to nearly collect the set!

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Leo actually.
    Wasn't that a film ?

Brian[/QUOTE]

Leon.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Webley ? Twist grip

The Twist grip pistol patented by Webley employees is very difficult to cock, low in power and as the piston compresses the air in the upward direction it is terrible to shoot. Unless wearing a glove the grip gives you blisters after the first couple of shots, no wonder it never went into production.
    Mac

Red face

I bought a Crosman T4 some years ago, Looked great and like new but boy was it crap!!!

I'd be lucky if four of the eight pellets actually left the barrel!!

Cycling of the mad was shocking, When I looked around the interweb it was a common fault with them

At the other end of the question, Ya just can't beat a nice shiny Senior or Premier, among the nicest of any pistols ever made! (**DUCKS FOR COVER**)

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I bought a Crosman T4 some years ago, Looked great and like new but boy was it crap!!!

I'd be lucky if four of the eight pellets actually left the barrel!!

Cycling of the mad was shocking, When I looked around the interweb it was a common fault with them

At the other end of the question, Ya just can't beat a nice shiny Senior or Premier, among the nicest of any pistols ever made! (**DUCKS FOR COVER**)

John
    Just has to be the early Saxby and Palmer pre pumped cartridge pistols.
    Each little perishing cartridge had to be pre loaded with a pellet then pumped up on a hand pump.
    Mind numbingly labourious and longwinded x 6 times to load the revolvers.
    Then 4 would shoot away at about 350 fps in about 5 seconds, another at about 280 fps and another would routinely fail to go off
    Eventually after a few weeks none would take or hold air.
    I always remember picking the gun up, the pump and a handful of the bstd cartridges and hurling the lot down the garden and didnt bother recovering the useless bunch of metal workings for a week.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Each little perishing cartridge had to be pre loaded with a pellet then pumped up on a hand pump.
    Then 4 would shoot away at about 350 fps in about 5 seconds, another at about 280 fps and another would routinely fail to go off
    I always remember picking the gun up, the pump and a handful of the bstd cartridges and hurling the lot down the garden and didnt bother recovering the useless bunch of metal workings for a week.
    Lol

It kinda pales my woes in to insignificance mate as the Tac guns/Pumps/Carts were most likely a lot more money that the useless plastic effort that I had trouble with!!

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Lol
    Had exactly the same experience with their rifles. It took five of them over the years (Elite, Royale, No4, 2 x Heralds) to finally decide they were useless.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    It kinda pales my woes in to insignificance mate as the Tac guns/Pumps/Carts were most likely a lot more money that the useless plastic effort that I had trouble with!!

John..
    Lol im telling you .....
    Yes thats it u just reminded me ...Tac.
    You hand pumped each cartridge with 8 pumps as i remember. Manual said 6 until exhaust let off was reached pressumably no more air would enter and the excess would just exhaust to prevent damage or illegal energies being reached. ....but then the darn things were farting at all sorts of numbers most past 8 or so.
    You then pulled off the cap of a cartridge and loaded a pellet in x 6
    After all that you had lost the will to actually shoot the thing or got bored halfway through....infuriated in my case....and switched to your LP53 or something....or the girlfriend calling you for dinner.
    In the incredible event of performing a full load you were rewarded with Gat like shots with occasional misfires.
    Frankly messing with misfires always worried me trying to unscrew the misfired pellets away from yourself and anyone else and then trying to figure the fault.
    I just completely lost it one day and put a full 20 odd metres swing on the lot of it ....and left it there to rot.
    Last edited by clarky; 08-01-2017 at 11:09 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post
    The Twist grip pistol patented by Webley employees is very difficult to cock, low in power and as the piston compresses the air in the upward direction it is terrible to shoot. Unless wearing a glove the grip gives you blisters after the first couple of shots, no wonder it never went into production.
    Mac

When it comes to air pistols I would differentiate between a bad design and an ingenious but impractical design . Bad designs are those that take a tried and trusted system, like the breakbarrel principle used in the Voere LDP4, and design it so badly that it is a nightmare to use. Ingenious but impractical designs like the twist-grip are fascinating to me, as they show inventive flare. They may look crazy but sometimes they work better than expected. The compressed air U-turn invented by Quackenbush has been used successfully in the Highest Possible, Webley's and many others to shorten the overall length of a pistol to half that of a breakbarrel without losing any power. The concentric principle invented by Edwin Anson should introduce all sorts of air seal problems but has been used very effectively in such pistols as the Star, Warrior, Acvoke and little Tell 2. A weird and unusual cocking air pistol will always find a place in my collection, even if it could never hit a barn door at 10 paces.

What quirky airgun system appeals to you, when you know it is never going to be a winner? I love the simplicity of the old Frank Clarke Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    When it comes to air pistols I would differentiate between a bad design and an ingenious but impractical design . Bad designs are those that take a tried and trusted system, like the breakbarrel principle used in the Voere LDP4, and design it so badly that it is a nightmare to use. Ingenious but impractical designs like the twist-grip are fascinating to me, as they show inventive flare. They may look crazy but sometimes they work better than expected. The compressed air U-turn invented by Quackenbush has been used successfully in the Highest Possible, Webley's and many others to shorten the overall length of a pistol to half that of a breakbarrel without losing any power. The concentric principle invented by Edwin Anson should introduce all sorts of air seal problems but has been used very effectively in such pistols as the Star, Warrior, Acvoke and little Tell 2. A weird and unusual cocking air pistol will always find a place in my collection, even if it could never hit a barn door at 10 paces.

What quirky airgun system appeals to you, when you know it is never going to be a winner? I love the simplicity of the old Frank Clarke Titans.
    Very excellent point ....
    For me nothing will ever surpass the walther lp53....the shear simplicity of the one piece cocking pall performing all those roles of pivot, piston driver and sear is just mind numbingly simple but so efficient and yet lasts decades without the slightest hint of wear.
    The one piece barrel housing of sublime cast alloy incorperating the actual sight .....being a casting that pushes the gun makers art to the max.
    FInally the trigger guard lever might just be the finest piece of profiling of steel ever in air pistols.
    again performing 2 roles to keep parts down but must have been a nightmare to design.
    THe whole thing working with the beautiful precision of a switch watch.

I believe this was because the germans at that time had been banned from making real firearms after the war so must have chucked all their technical ability at airguns...LP2 similarly of course

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Gosh, this one I have never come across before. What's it's history?

Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post
    Mac