Thread: 6 yard pistol... Alecto or Compact?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Compact has more than enough poke for target work at 6 yds or 10m.
    The grip is superb for the price and the trigger can upgraded at no cost with a little judicious fettling to a good standard.
    Can't really comment on the Alecto - but from Crosmans I've owned I do know that multi-pumping soon loses its appeal and is not conducive to accurate shooting when done in any quantity
    Is the Alecto not around the same ft lbs on a single pump as the Compact? Around 2.3ft lbs from what I've read.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    Is the Alecto not around the same ft lbs on a single pump as the Compact? Around 2.3ft lbs from what I've read.
    Pretty much You don't have to pump it more than once, but it's nice to have the option there...
    The alecto has quite a long top receiver/lever and it gives good leverage compared to, say, a HW40. You can plink with it on one pump all day long. It's nice to be able to give something a good hammering when you want to though, and most will easily do 5.5 ft/lb on 3 pumps.

From what I recall of my last chrono session (a while back) it was about 2.5 - 2.75 on one pump, 4 on two pumps, and 5.5 on three pumps - and you will hear the letoff valve go off at that point. Apparently export versions with longer barrels can make 8/9 ft/lbs.
    Good deals with these members

I've been using my Alecto for 6yd target shooting (postal comp.) with one pump it is just fine. It is a lot lighter than my FWB 65 and allows me to hold on target longer before the shakes start. The trgger is vert good and can be easily adjusted sliding it forward and backwards on a rail and the blade can be rotated. Seems like a big gun but the grip is ergonmic and suits my little hands of with the trigger adjusted. Need to try out different pellets - mine seems to like bisley practice wad cutters. Sights are fine and it does not make too much noise and appears to be robust.
    I like it, and it comes in a great case too.

George

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    I've been using my Alecto for 6yd target shooting (postal comp.) with one pump it is just fine. It is a lot lighter than my FWB 65 and allows me to hold on target longer before the shakes start. The trgger is vert good and can be easily adjusted sliding it forward and backwards on a rail and the blade can be rotated. Seems like a big gun but the grip is ergonmic and suits my little hands of with the trigger adjusted. Need to try out different pellets - mine seems to like bisley practice wad cutters. Sights are fine and it does not make too much noise and appears to be robust.
    I like it, and it comes in a great case too.

George
    Having used both, you will get a bit more out of the Compact (in 6 and 10mtr target terms only) mainly due to the adjustable anatomical grip and marginally better trigger control due to this adjustment. The grip on the Compact also affords the more correct straight wrist hold demanded by the sport.
    Surprisingly enough ive edged both with a HW75. The Trigger is better and the heft works better for me in killing all the muzzle flip, also a perfect sight picture for me......but this is personal feel where others might feel different.
    For 20yd sport shooting the Alecto is going take over due to velocity potential, regardless of any hold/heft adv.

The Gamo Compact would win hands down for the type of target shooting you require,
    Steve

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by steve prime View Post
    The Gamo Compact would win hands down for the type of target shooting you require,
    Steve
    I agree with that comment, although I own more expensive pistols I achieve the same levels with the Compact.

clarky
    Thanks for the insight on the compact I will have to get hold of one and give it a try.

Best cheers
    george