Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In praise of Webley air pistols

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I nearly pre-empted your "Wobbly Webley" comments in my original post. Just think Ian, if you got into Webley pistols you could open up a whole new department within the Blackburn airgun emporium. Just flog some of that old tat you currently have to make room for some of our true airgunning heritage.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I nearly pre-empted your "Wobbly Webley" comments in my original post. Just think Ian, if you got into Webley pistols you could open up a whole new department within the Blackburn airgun emporium. Just flog some of that old tat you currently have to make room for some of our true airgunning heritage.
    '... got into Webley pistols ...'

I'd rather watch cricket.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Webley barrels

However fond the memories of Webley are,I still say they didn't make a fist of their .22 barrels. A barrel that is also serving as a lever should be beefy!Pre-war Webley .22 barrels are not. They assume the shape of a 'nana after modest use.Bar,humbug.

I agree with I.J. Just been given a hardly used 1950's Webley Senior .177 and compared to my Diana Model Six its a load of crap. Heavy trigger, bog basic sights. The only fun I get from it is putting it back in the case.
    Dave

L

LOVE 'EM
    I've just added another two to the collection this weekend (and an Airsporter, just to balance it out a bit).

Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatack View Post
    im still nursing my knuckles after a mishap with my brothers webley junior when i was 12. blimey i didnt do that again
    I once nipped my leg while cocking a long barreled (?) Wobbly pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    I agree with I.J. Just been given a hardly used 1950's Webley Senior .177 and compared to my Diana Model Six its a load of crap. Heavy trigger, bog basic sights. The only fun I get from it is putting it back in the case.
    Dave
    Lets us stand, back-to-back, and defend ourselves from the rose tinted, 'Ah....... but its a Webley' brigade.

Ive owned a couple but soon got rid of them for something better - which wasn't difficult.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

For no real reason I have always had an aversion to Webley pistols but now that maybe changing. There is something definatley Victorian in their build style and quality and many times I have heard

"To me they are the nearest thing to shooting handguns pre ban"

I think it is time to rethink my position on this especially after hearing about the exploits of GGGR and

"a sip of wine"

That sip is usually 2 bottles!

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Dave
    Of course it's not as good as a Mod 6. One's a plinking pistol, the other's a proper target pistol. Compare like with like and the Webleys stack up quite well. If you really dislike it that much I'd be happy to relieve you of it.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Dave
    Give you £20 for it
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Give you £20 for it
    Wow, what an offer. Sooner bin it

That would please IJ no end - one less for him to worry about
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    OK, £10, final offer
    Good deals with these members

webley pistols

I had a .177 tempest from new in the early 90's, wasn't very impressed & it was hard to hit anything with it. Just recently i sold a .22 one for a freind on here & had a bit plink with it first. It was a totally different experience to shoot(with .22 thunderbolts) accurate, much less recoil & if I'd had any spare dosh I'd have bought it myself. Anyone else found the .22's shoot better? Or was my .177 a friday afternoon model.
    Last edited by junglie; 24-07-2013 at 08:41 PM.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Dave
    Just to back up my earlier defence, I've put in a link to a pic of two targets. Both shot at 20, yes 20 yards. One with a late 1940's Webley Mk1, and one with a bona fide 10m match pistol, in this case a Fwb Mod 80. Both pistols were shot "officers at revolver practice" style, one handed, with the other on the hip. The scores on the doors are Webley 80/0 ex 100, Feinwerkbau, 91/1 ex 100. I'd say the Webley didn't doo too bad.
    On both targets there are 2 shots outside the main group. With the Fwb this is definately down to me. If the same is true of the Webley card you could increase the score by at least 4 points.
    I will admit that I took two strings of ten to sort out a point of aim with the Webley as originally it was putting it's shots low, but once that was sorted I managed to surprise myself with how well it shot.
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...psbb21a439.jpg
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Just to back up my earlier defence, I've put in a link to a pic of two targets. Both shot at 20, yes 20 yards. One with a late 1940's Webley Mk1, and one with a bona fide 10m match pistol, in this case a Fwb Mod 80. Both pistols were shot "officers at revolver practice" style, one handed, with the other on the hip. The scores on the doors are Webley 80/0 ex 100, Feinwerkbau, 91/1 ex 100. I'd say the Webley didn't doo too bad.
    On both targets there are 2 shots outside the main group. With the Fwb this is definately down to me. If the same is true of the Webley card you could increase the score by at least 4 points.
    I will admit that I took two strings of ten to sort out a point of aim with the Webley as originally it was putting it's shots low, but once that was sorted I managed to surprise myself with how well it shot.
    http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...psbb21a439.jpg
    Hello Harry,

The attached link is to a typical group I can usually fairly easily achieve with my .22 calibre B Series Premier on the standard NSRA 10 metre target using a single handed unsupported stance. I have shot the pistol at 20 yds but found the groups open up too much to be acceptable at that distance.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psc7b82c7c.jpg

Regards

Brian