Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TX200HC very low on power

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Is there not a danger of silicon oil getting onto areas of metal to metal contact? I thought that was a definite no-no thing to do because of the risk of galling of the metal surfaces.

I don't know the risk, if any, so ask out of curiosity.
    Cheers, Phil
    I don't use silicone oil in my guns but I have used it on seals in the past and have never had any problems at all, if a bit gets on metal to metal and there is already moly grease there it does no harm, I once asked Terry Robb about this and he said that had used silicone oil on thousands of gun seals and never had a problem.

So It's just a old wives tail, just don't use it on metal to metal

Metal to metal was done with moly grease, but with a modern parachute seal I can't see that there will be any metal to metal contact within the compression chamber.
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

Quote Originally Posted by Doobin View Post
    Metal to metal was done with moly grease, but with a modern parachute seal I can't see that there will be any metal to metal contact within the compression chamber.
    Fair does, and for the previous post by Barryg.... makes sense. I do remember a picture posted by Ben Taylor (?) many years ago that showed the effects of silicon oil on two metal surfaces as a lubricant ... quite alarming.

Cheers, Phil

Check the FX radar, i bought one if these to Chrono a BSA Scorpion that i rebuilt and power was high so i checked it against my RedWolf and that was reading 14lb, Daystate's sheet was 11.4. Not all these things are accurate out of the box, i calibrated mine to the daystate's chrono and everything seems to be ok now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I don't use silicone oil in my guns but I have used it on seals in the past and have never had any problems at all, if a bit gets on metal to metal and there is already moly grease there it does no harm, I once asked Terry Robb about this and he said that had used silicone oil on thousands of gun seals and never had a problem.

So It's just a old wives tail, just don't use it on metal to metal

When I was 12 I used Abbey Silicone valve seal on my Airsporter S loading tap. It seized solid! I wouldn't use anything that says Silicone on it on any of my guns, you just don't need to any way.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    When I was 12 I used Abbey Silicone valve seal on my Airsporter S loading tap. It seized solid! I wouldn't use anything that says Silicone on it on any of my guns, you just don't need to any way.
    Are you sure you didn’t use silicone sealant ?

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hi Max, I would really like to see what it was that Ben Taylor used back then that was capable of seizing guns solid
    in a couple of shots I wonder if it wasn't industrial super glue don't forget that there is five different types of silicone lube, I am talking about gun silicone oil.

Max how long did the tap take to seize and was there also plenty moly grease there ? When the Ben Taylor scare was posted I tried experimenting with the small bottle of gun silicone oil that I had left and could not get it to seize (somebody please try and post a video) it was more like having no lube at all.

Anyway have a look at this it might make you cringe LOL

https://youtu.be/rL4ukRx1Omo?t=356

Silicone is not for metal to metal I don't know how he gets away with it

[QUOTE=Barryg;7915638]Hi Max, I would really like to see what it was that Ben Taylor used back then that was capable of seizing guns solid
    in a couple of shots I wonder if it wasn't industrial super glue don't forget that there is five different types of silicone lube, I am talking about gun silicone oil.

Max how long did the tap take to seize and was there also plenty moly grease there ? When the Ben Taylor scare was posted I tried experimenting with the small bottle of gun silicone oil that I had left and could not get it to seize (somebody please try and post a video) it was more like having no lube at all.

Silicone is not for metal to metal I don't know how he gets away with it[/QUOTE
    Piston is probably such a pi*as fit in the cylinder it had no effect 🤭. Seriously though isn't Abby sm50 silicon and moly mix?silicon is very resistant to high temperature.
    If this modern myth is based on one man's experience, it could be something else was at play when he tested ? Just a thought.

Hi Max, I would really like to see what it was that Ben Taylor used back then that was capable of seizing guns solid

Silicone is not for metal to metal I don't know how he gets away with it

No time at all to seize Barry, few turns and it jammed solid. The surfaces had picked up on each other and ended up rough
    . We had to polish up and then lubed with ptfe spray but still wasn't great. Didn't do anything for the seal of the tap either. Probably ruined it really. I won't be drawn by your pro silicone propaganda, best use for it is perking up boobs imo!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

[QUOTE=NickG;7915647]

Silicone is not for metal to metal I don't know how he gets away with it[/QUOTE
    Piston is probably such a pi*as fit in the cylinder it had no effect 🤭. Seriously though isn't Abby sm50 silicon and moly mix?silicon is very resistant to high temperature.
    If this modern myth is based on one man's experience, it could be something else was at play when he tested ? Just a thought.
    That's what I am guessing the few who have had big problems with silicone has been part misuse and part something else at play, as for sm50 the managering director told me twice that it had no silicone in it just something that had the beneficial property's of silicone for low dieseling and vaparation, but I don't think I would bet on it lol.

I use Vmach moly oil for seals but thousands in the US still use silicone and probably thousands used it here in the UK 25 years ago, gun shops recommend it back then