Thread: Diana/Mauser K98

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I'd like a 460. I was tempted to buy one from McAvoys on deep discount, but I'd like a .22" and they only have .177"s.

But the 460 is a 22 ft/lb rifle. Unless short-stroked or sleeved, it will surely not be at its best at half that power (my 52 isn't, but I tolerate it because I like the huge old cannon). And there are posts on US fora where one of the cocking lever pivot pins has broken under normal use. Maybe not an issue with a soft UK spring (and HWs have galling issues and for a while had awful springs). But a touch worrying.

After 7 years of owning a 460 and lots discussions on the DWC The link that you speak of breaking is very rare and only when the gun is fired with the underlever dropped and not in place some of the owners shoot with over 50 lb of cocking effort and even then I have only heard of two in 7 years and this is because the linkage is so strong and rigid and not bendable like the 52, something has to go with that sort of pressure BTW its the same type of hinge pin as the 52 you can see what I mean in this pic.
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...pspyhfs5bo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    After 7 years of owning a 460 and lots discussions on the DWC The link that you speak of breaking is very rare and only when the gun is fired with the underlever dropped and not in place some of the owners shoot with over 50 lb of cocking effort and even then I have only heard of two in 7 years and this is because the linkage is so strong and rigid and not bendable like the 52, something has to go with that sort of pressure BTW its the same type of hinge pin as the 52 you can see what I mean in this pic.
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...pspyhfs5bo.jpg
    Reassuring (and I'm a DWC chap too :-)).

I might get one, just for the heck of it. If only they weren't so stupidly expensive in the UK.

I keep hoping that if I keep pointing out on here how (apols for caps) STUPIDLY EXPENSIVE Dianas currently are in the UK that some web-droid from Diana will notice and sort out their stupidly expensive UK pricing.