Quote Originally Posted by nimrod177 View Post
I have just received back what must be the 5th fx air rifle that has been played with. Just to give you some idea what the customer has done i will describe it in brief. This is from a customers covering letter who wrote " i regularly service my own air rifles"
1. I went on line and watched some bloke as i wanted to adjust my power for my pellet weight to 11.8/11.9 ftlb using 8.4 grn jsb's. (now i can guarantee that rifle with a heavier pellet will be over the limit, trust me i tested enough of them to know)
2. I don't know what happened but i got some pellets stuck in the barrel.
3. I tried to heat the barrel up to melt the pellets out but it didn't work. (surprise surprise)
4. I tried to rod the barrel with a brass cleaning rod but it came apart and there are two bits of cleaning rod stuck down the barrel. (yes they are still down the barrel)
5. I tried drilling them out with a 2mm drill bit but it broke into two bits. (yes they are still down the barrel)
6. I tried hammering it down but none of them would budge. (wow, guess which end of the barrel the hammer hit........yep the crown!)

This was a brand new fx impact mkII. It took over an hour to get the rods x2, drill bit x2 and 2" of lead out of the barrel. I don't even know if the barrel will be ok but on initial inspection miraculously it doesn't appear to be damaged. However the crown is wrecked and will have to have the top 2mm removed and recrowned. Its now away with the gunsmith to see if the barrel can be salvaged or he will need a new barrel.

Second customer thought that he would service his fx impact as he did his fac one and that was fine (MKI) So the MKII should be fine, and up the power a bit! Takes it all apart and orders the seals for the MKII which duly turn up. Puts it back together and it doesn't work so then proceeds to take his working mkI apart (remember fac). Now has two guns that don't work. Decides to phone me and ask what the problem is down the phone! Initial question "when you took the first one apart and replaced the o rings did you have any left? Yes was the answer. "Then why didn't you check to find out why you had three o rings left rather than take your working gun apart?" Response "I thought i could compare" them was the answer.

Third customer wanted to adjust the power on his MKII wildcat as it was only running at 11.8ftlb on jsb heavies. He was changing to 8.4grn and wanted it to run at the same power or just a "smidge more". Tried adjusting the reg once he got past the anti tamper and the hammer spring but now it is all over the place. My question.... was it shooting ok before you played with it. Oh yes came back the reply it was near pellet on pellet at 50yds.

All the above rifles will have to be stripped down and put back together at the customers expense. If you aren't 100000000% sure what you are doing don't take them apart just because a mate or youtube is your bestest friend. I have had hardly any genuine warranty claims to do and most were quick fixes. I can tell if a gun has been taken apart reasonably quickly. Especially when a bit is missing from somewhere that, without taking it apart it is physically impossible for it to be missing from.
Trust me i know where you are coming from but how did you become a 'Gunsmith'?....I would suspect that quite a few of the respected names we have on here started with curiosity and that urge to see how something works and can i make it any better. I'm not formally trained but have been in Engineering for 38 years and am known on the HFT/FT circuits as one of the primary Steyr fettlers. I've done work from as far afield as the US and Russia and even Steyr started using SS shims in their regs years after i started doing it. In the past 2 decades I've serviced over 700 Steyrs and probably double that number in regs so am getting there and have shot Steyrs myself for most of that time with AA's before that. I WAS lucky in that i was initially shown how to strip down an early LG100 by Steve Gallup and Jon Sykes (Hydrographics) who were instrumental in getting the first LG100's up to 12ft/lb for the FT circuit....and went form there. I have 2 Steyrs that are now 17 and 18 years old and still winning trophies.

Now for the bit where we really are on the same page. Some of the horror stories I've had over the years would make your hair curl, One LG110 i had to drill out every single screw/bolt and that added almost 4 hours onto the service time with some needing helicoil. And that's the problem with some rifles, they are actually quite easy to get into and strip down and also very easy to damage as a result. I'm (and the people i do the work for) rather fortunate that this is not my livelihood as the cost would soon escalate for some rifles. It's still something i enjoy doing on the side so don't charge for the extra hours. I do have the odd head scratching moment when someone asks for a reg servicing kit but admit they don't own a reg checker....