Thread: Revolver cylinder chamfering question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was done to facilitate easy loading of conicals or other non-spherical ammo. Lead balls may cut in easy but a square base round is much harder to accurately seat without the chamfer.
    It also reduces the chance of damage if you're careless and don't properly align the cylinder before ramming. Yes; proper technique will avoid this, but how often have you seen the wonderful 'tube vids of people who shouldn't be allowed near firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if it was done to facilitate easy loading of conicals or other non-spherical ammo. Lead balls may cut in easy but a square base round is much harder to accurately seat without the chamfer.
    It also reduces the chance of damage if you're careless and don't properly align the cylinder before ramming. Yes; proper technique will avoid this, but how often have you seen the wonderful 'tube vids of people who shouldn't be allowed near firearms.
    The base of the Lee conical, made especially for the ROA, has a reduced chamfer to make it easy to enter the opening of the chamber. It's not the easiest, but it does make things easier than a true flat base conical.

tac

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Correction: I earlier refereed to Mr Tanner as "Jim" - on reflection I am pretty sure he is in fact "Jeff"
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Correction: I earlier refereed to Mr Tanner as "Jim" - on reflection I am pretty sure he is in fact "Jeff"
    Correct. I call him Mr Tanner, as we have not been introduced.

tac