Thread: Pellets for 10m air pistol.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I mainly shoot RWS Basics through my LP400 over 10m and Ive had dozens of 50 ex 50s.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I think some people may not be considering how much lead some shoot. I do 100-200 per week. The difference between R10 and cheaper ones is considerable when you shoot that much (depending on your budget).
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Hello to All,

For sake of argument :

500 RWS R10 --> £8

500 RWS Hobby --> £4

So, for two hundred (200) pellets a week, we save ca. £1.60 by using Hobby's over R10s.

For five hundred (500) pellets a week, we save £4.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

This subject has been debated at length on the US forum 'Target Talk' and is worth a read if you do a search. The general consensus was that unless you are shooting 575 ex 600 or more, then pellet type makes little difference for 10m air pistol. If you are concerned however, then buy a pellet trial pack selection and test a few types in your own gun. I did that and found that cheap Gecos were as good as anything else in my pistol and could outshoot me so I just use these.

As others have said though, the cost is not great no matter which pellet you use, so buy whatever gives you the most confidence.

Another way to look at it:
    £8 R10
    £4 XXX

Half price!

It's important to remember I'm not not shooting cheap for cheap sake; I've tested the pellets with the pistol clamped, and the results were as good as R10. The other brands I tried; Bisley, RWS Hobby, Umarex and another I've forgotten were not.

So my annual outlay for lead is half what it would be for banging R10 down range with the same results. I'm on a budget; you guys crack on with R10 if you like
    Last edited by bootneckbob; 30-03-2021 at 06:04 AM.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

I remember Mick Gault slagging off R10s at a training seminar !!forget what he was using,it was a few years ago...but 575 is prob a bad day for him
    so he would be pellet fussy
    I shot a series of high 90s with Geco as I left my JSBs at home
    The following night I was rubbish with JSBs... so mainly it was me
    Theres no such thing as practice,everytime you shoot...its serious,it may be you against you,but thats usually the problem,the person behind the gun

I did some batch testing with the NSRA pistol and rifle squads a few years ago the results were interesting and generally the R10 matched or most often bettered the performance of the shooters own selected pellets or batch tested pellets of other manufacturers.

Do better grouping pellets really matter? For pistol the difference between a good batch and an average batch is noticeable but with integer scoring and also the inherent movement of a shooters aim point it's debatable whether it makes a huge difference to your score.

To counter the above argument though 10m is very much in your head, any doubts and it's a very unforgiving sport, so if you can see an improvement by using xyz pellet then I would say use it as then it gives you one less thing to worry about.

Matt

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I mainly shoot RWS Basics through my LP400 over 10m and Ive had dozens of 50 ex 50s.
    All Rivi shooters used RWS Basics to shoot Dorset leagues (and we've won a few medals as well)

Sizing has been carried out and seems to make little difference if any.

At the end of the day it's down to who's holding the pistol.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal