Thread: Valuation please, Feinwerkbau FWB 124

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pre HW77

FWB Sport - 4 field target national titles
    Original 45 - 1 field target national title
    HW80 - 1 field target national title
    Theoben - 0

Which rifle is the best is clearly a matter of opinion, but some hard facts are hard to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Pre HW77

FWB Sport - 4 field target national titles
    Original 45 - 1 field target national title
    HW80 - 1 field target national title
    Theoben - 0

Which rifle is the best is clearly a matter of opinion, but some hard facts are hard to ignore.
    cant say more than that can you
    and i still have my mastersport

remember the poll on here about a year ago / cant argue with that either

Upgraded to Theobens a long time ago. Upgrade? Not really; went through two (bent barrel syndrome). Had a few since/recently and they aren't anymore forgiving than anything else. Now I'm back to Sports as my preferred field air rifle. I've had most of the rifles that I dreamed of owning when younger. The Sport comes up tops because it works on all fronts and is very accurate.

Having said that Sorts are still not that easy to shoot straight (pcp) and you do have to do all the right things. However, for standing unsupported they seem to guide that pellet home. Most spring, or gasram for that matter, just don't get it if you change your position or do something different. The heavy weight HW77 is the other spring driven tack driver but try shooting that standing unsupported when all scoped up

Fwb

On the strength of this thread I went out on Saturday morning and bought a Sport from my local gunshop (GT Shooting of Coulsdon), to be honest I didn't need much incouragement

I must say I am very impressed and can see what all the fuss is about with these rifles. The last time I used one was about 1985!

Can anyone date it (serial no 144XX) and mine also has the wrap around foresight with the interchangable elements.

Is slightly down on power so now I am off to the spares people for a mainspring, piston washer and breech seal.

Oh and the best bit, its a 124..
    Last edited by coburn; 07-12-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Doing all the right things today coburn Bought the right rifle, right calibre too.

I like the new school Marcarri kits, which both my 124's are fitted with (no spring compressor needed). If you do put an order in do get the tar and paste. All his bits are good, trigger, safety spring and rear sight blind (hides the holes) but it does end up quite costly. Don't put a huge scope on it and nothing cheap. An old 3-9X40 Tasco would be perfect. Sportsmatch one piece medium/low mounts or Apel steel work well. I like no moderator as there is little advantage and you're not helping the excellent balance. Lastly Superdomes work great.

Enjoy.

Fwb

Thanks Muskett.

I was a bit concerned about the need for a spring compressor and the delicate looking wings on the safety catch.

Scope wise it came with an old Rhino 6x32 with a pointed post reticule, but I've got a one inch tubed Tasco 4x20 with a 30/30 reticule which is lovely lightweight scope which i may fit.

Its currently running at 8.5 to 8.8ftlbs with velocities around 750 with Hobbies and 680 with Superdome so its only about 70 to 100 fps down. The spring does feel a bit springy and creaky on cocking.

The amazing thing is how consistant it is, variation of only 10fps with various pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Thanks Muskett.

I was a bit concerned about the need for a spring compressor and the delicate looking wings on the safety catch.
    I have a piece of hardwood dowel with small cutouts to accommodate the safety catch 'wings'. It was a bit daunting the first time but as long as the action is held securely in the compressor it's actually quite straightforward. Check out I.J's disassembly photos and make sure you use wire or something like it to tie the safety slide tightly to the trigger block (at least either side of the trigger) as you withdraw it. I use strips of plastic coated garden wire.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.