Thread: Pellets for 10m air pistol.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Pellets

Testing with machine rests or bench rests over 10 shots or even 20 or 40 shots, is close to being a waste of time, it may show you the very bad makes, but its not enough time to split the better ones. The serious shooters, and manufacturers testing ammo, and barrels seriously, (not just for a general production run) will test over at least a 200 shot test, and as said to me "sods law" the next one is the flyer! So its only a guide! I'm aware of some who do 250 shot tests.

People talk about their wonderful tight ten shot test groups with all in the same hole, but the tens are irrelevant, we expect those, its the unexpected shot towards the 9 or worse a 9 out of the group that we are looking for. On metric with a rifle, if the shot is out of the group by 0.1 of where you pointed it, you loose 0.1, if with a pistol with integer and you point it at the edge of the ten, and its out by 0.1 (not you?) you loose a whole point, there is always the argument that you could save a point, but quoted law from Mr Sod above applies! Those who claim "acceptable" averages, or regular tens or 50's or 100's, what about the ones you missed? Do you shoot nothing but tens?

Its beyond me, why save £4 over 2 and 1/2 weeks, £1.60 a week, if you are so hard up, I'm sorry if I offend you, but I'm I'm sure you can save that another way if your sport matters to you? Why risk loosing points? Maybe miss your PB, even though it may not equal the world record? Its the big advantage of shooting air, the cost is low.

I've shot internationally air pistol, If you don't think you need the best pellets, that's your choice, and knowing Micky G well, and his coach, an old friend, the current GB coach, and also a CWG gold medalist, I can assure you they would say the same, for heavens sake just use the best, the cost difference is peanuts.

Incidentally Mick used Qiang Yuan latterly, they are at least as good as RWS R10.

I'm returning to my cave now, Hi Craig, hope you are well.

Have Fun
    Robin

Have Fun
    Last edited by RobinC; 31-03-2021 at 08:08 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?