Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAC to non FAC

FAC to non FAC

Hi guys, been a while since i have posted.
    I have a question. I'm getting back into the sport after aquiring a permission local to me.

How hard and is it possible to even put an FAC rifle back to standard. Seen some really nice FAC ones out there a lot cheaper. Are they cheaper as once they are rated and used as FAC you cant change them back or its a lot of work and not worth the bother?

Thanks
    Bolt actions speak louder than words.

Hi mate, it's really easy to reduce power to less than 12ftlbs, BUT even if you do that the rifle will remain an FAC registered rifle. Once an FAC, always an FAC. There's no way around it I'm afraid.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

FAC to Non FAC

As far as I know once an airgun is registered as FAC thats it. A few people used to put new outer shrouds ( with different or no serial nos.) on Career 707's and sell them on as non FAC. I assume they must have officially scrapped the FAC version though.
    You want it fixed when??!

Interpretation varies from force to force. A few will allow it but most won't.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    Interpretation varies from force to force. A few will allow it but most won't.
    Lancashire are fine with this, I have recently bought a FAC Rapid and had it taken off ticket at B.A.R now sub 12 no problem

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    Hi mate, it's really easy to reduce power to less than 12ftlbs, BUT even if you do that the rifle will remain an FAC registered rifle. Once an FAC, always an FAC. There's no way around it I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doxbox View Post
    As far as I know once an airgun is registered as FAC thats it. A few people used to put new outer shrouds ( with different or no serial nos.) on Career 707's and sell them on as non FAC. I assume they must have officially scrapped the FAC version though.
    It is possible; several forces allow it.

Therein lies the issue. It's not impossible because it can't be done; it's difficult because the forces make it difficult.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by mikexxx View Post
    Hi guys, been a while since i have posted.
    I have a question. I'm getting back into the sport after aquiring a permission local to me.

How hard and is it possible to even put an FAC rifle back to standard. Seen some really nice FAC ones out there a lot cheaper. Are they cheaper as once they are rated and used as FAC you cant change them back or its a lot of work and not worth the bother?

Thanks
    As said depends on the police in your area,
    But
    Your main issue will be actually buying the rifle without holding the FAC that allows you to do so

one option might be to find a dealer who will do the conversion & buy the rifle and have it shipped direct to them, but then you have the cost of shipping to add to the cost of the conversion, which will probably put the price up level with buying a sub 12 to start with.

Thanks for the input guys. The ones i have seen are at dealers so i was going to purchase it from them providing they can downgrade the power. But this of course would come at a cost perhaps and depending on that cost how effective it would be to just buy a standard sub 12 in the first place.

I think i might contact the local firearms chap and see what he has to say about this too.

Thanks again.
    Bolt actions speak louder than words.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mikexxx View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. The ones i have seen are at dealers so i was going to purchase it from them providing they can downgrade the power. But this of course would come at a cost perhaps and depending on that cost how effective it would be to just buy a standard sub 12 in the first place.

I think i might contact the local firearms chap and see what he has to say about this too.

Thanks again.
    Let us know how you get on I have one burning question here also.... If I (from bath) walk into an rfd (let's say B.A.R) and ask to buy an fac rifle that I want them to reduce the power and take off fac.... Is that still ok? Obviously it will have to be a shop/police force that are prepared to do it, but might this be an issue when I take it back to bath?? (Assuming bath police say that it's not ok to do in there District)....
    Tis interesting a... Could mean you just need to shop in the right place
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Let us know how you get on I have one burning question here also.... If I (from bath) walk into an rfd (let's say B.A.R) and ask to buy an fac rifle that I want them to reduce the power and take off fac.... Is that still ok? Obviously it will have to be a shop/police force that are prepared to do it, but might this be an issue when I take it back to bath?? (Assuming bath police say that it's not ok to do in there District)....
    Rhys
    I would assume that providing the gun was classed as none FAC at the point you left BAR it would not matter where you went with it. As people have said it depends on the police force, it would need to be derated by an RFD if the police allowed it. I am under Thames Valley and my FEO advised me that they don't allow it.
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum

I am an RFD licensed for modifying Section 1 (FAC) air guns. If a gun is ordered and shipped to me as a Section 1 firearm I can replace the FAC parts with parts to allow the gun to be used as a sub12 gun. This requires that any serial numbered parts that were Section 1 be replaced with sub 12 parts. I can keep the parts for use on Section 1 guns (with the relevant FAC) or I can legally scrap the Sec 1 parts, thus removing the FAC gun from the Section 1 register. I will charge the labour, parts and shipping fees if there are any incurred to me.
    The gun is then classified as a sub12 and as such requires no license, just the relevant conditions of age, mental capacity, sobriety etc to be fulfilled before it is transferred to the new owner as a sub12 gun. If the gun is then shipped to another RFD all that is required is the relevant transfer fee. If the gun is collected from me all I need is proof of identity for my firearms register as it is now a sub12, the new owner has his/her legal responsibility for the ownership of a sub12. If collected from me you can take the gun anywhere you please (legally) as a sub12, it is your responsibility when it leaves my door.
    Usually the serial numbered parts will be the barrel or the action block. These may be expensive to replace, along with the labour and shipping costs it may make it too expensive to consider.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Rhys
    That was the whole point of my post above about finding a dealer who will do the downgrade,
    once the rifle is downgraded & removed from the firearms register it can be sold as per any other sub 12 so your police in Bath would know nothing about it's existence.

Theoben used to offer a national service for their own rifles.

I had a Ripley which was FAC but taken off ticket so I could buy it whereupon I later got my FAC and had it put back on ticket. I later sold it at a total loss.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    Lancashire are fine with this, I have recently bought a FAC Rapid and had it taken off ticket at B.A.R now sub 12 no problem

Andy
    That is VERY interesting to hear. I always assumed it'd be a "no" so I never bothered looking into this.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    That is VERY interesting to hear. I always assumed it'd be a "no" so I never bothered looking into this.

Cheers
    Greg
    Ask your local FLO as I guess it would be down to them
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177