Thread: Quietening down an Air Arms Combat help !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I had a Combat project a couple of years ago but sold it on, the rear guide is indeed fixed and I had a friend of mine machine the guide down and then had him make up a delrin guide that slipped over the reduced fixed guide and then fitted the new spring snuggly, I never got the rifle back together to see if it worked.

Pete
    I did - yes it did
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

The standard spring is sloppy on the fixed spring guide (only the first few thousand sussex armoury models had a separate spring guide) but there is plenty of power potential there, the simplest way to tame them is use a narrower spring that is tight on the guide as Jon said, this leaves room for an extra liner as well as the original factory black one, make sure you fit a new o-ring (make sure its the correct imperial one not a metric) and that the tap isn't leaking and that the barrel is nice and tight in the action - all this reduces the slam. pellet choice can effect power by a couple of foot pounds as well as keep the slam down, I find superdomes the best all rounders for AA sidelevers.

I recommend against playing with the spring guide or polishing the piston, due to the nature of the sear engagement and non hardened parts any play at all back there will produce a dangerous light engagement.

HTH
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    I did - yes it did
    Phew that's a relief Pat, glad it worked

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Wasn't the point of the Sussex Armory/AA plastic fantastic to be LOUD?
    "My gun looks modern, and sounds more real than yours " "Those plastic toy soldiers are going to get a bad day"

I'm surprised it didn't come with a bayonet; the Airfix one did.

Put about 100 pellets through her today and she is really shooting well now ! the foam in the stock has 100% killed the plastic sound box noise. I liked it, but love it now they should have spent a few more quid at design...it is so close to being really good!!
    Anyway teenage yearning to have one now satisfied

I remember bringing my AR7 (Combat) to a HFT shoot years ago. People thought there was a rimfire on the course until they realised it was me 😁

Lovely airguns and sounds you are loving yours 👍

Regards
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    I remember bringing my AR7 (Combat) to a HFT shoot years ago. People thought there was a rimfire on the course until they realised it was me 😁
    which is exactly why I recomended against fitting a moderator - this just has to be a noisy gun - I mean, it's not exactly subtle is it ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    which is exactly why I recomended against fitting a moderator - this just has to be a noisy gun - I mean, it's not exactly subtle is it ?
    Yes indeed, when I do shoot it in my garden though. I do make sure the Mrs is out and the neighbours are not in their gardens either 😉😁
    BE-HAPPY-OK