Thread: .36, or .44 / .45

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think the bigger the calibre the more consistent it will shoot.

Best gun for choice, the non-authentic Ruger Old Army .45, stainless steel with fries on the side and a rootbeer cup-holder. If you pack it with enough Pyrodex and pig-fat it will kill an furious steer during a stampede, like the song 'Utah Carol' relates. But you are in New Orleans, so go get a nice eight-shot Smith & Wesson 627 .357 Magnum and shoot .38 Special target wadcutter loads in it. Darn accurate and nice sweet shooting, you won't have to spend an hour loading and an hour cleaning the dang thing.

Blackpowder will decrode your life and your wife will end up feeding you nothing but pot-liquor and biscuits because she won't be minding you no more, no Sir! Get a nice Smith and make life easy for yourself.

What are you doing up so late, Hsing-ee?

Well, I just got me a 10-shot Umarex Smith and Wesson! Maybe I'll get a 627 Smith to go with it. EIGHT shots, you say?.....

You know, I did read about a fellow in the States who liked his Umarex Smith so much he went out out and bought a cartridge one, just so he'd have one to match.

Cheers,

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post

Well, I just got me a 10-shot Umarex Smith and Wesson! Maybe I'll get a 627 Smith to go with it. EIGHT shots, you say?.....

Cheers,

Jim
    Yes, it's based on the the large-frame Smith that was originally designed for the .44 Magnum cartridge, so there is plenty of space in the cylinder for eight .357 Magnum rounds. Because it is large and heavy it has less recoil lift so it is supposed to be nice to shoot. Was saving up for one when the ban came in in the UK. Never mind ...

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    It's been out for awhile, then.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Yes, it's based on the the large-frame Smith that was originally designed for the .44 Magnum cartridge, so there is plenty of space in the cylinder for eight .357 Magnum rounds. Because it is large and heavy it has less recoil lift so it is supposed to be nice to shoot. Was saving up for one when the ban came in in the UK. Never mind ...
    The N frame was originally designed in 1908 for .44 Special. The first magnum cartridge chambered was the .357 in 1935 in the "Registered Magnum" which became the model 27. The .44 magnum didn't come about till 1957. Improvements in the strength of steel have allowed the fitting of 8 rounds into an N frame and seven into a K/L frame, as the cylinder walls don't have to be as thick to contain the 35000+ psi generated.