Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Got my Colt SAA Peacemaker (first impressions & mini review)

Good to hear and saved on fuel and time, sounds like pins are tapered. So for others benefit, which side do you tighten from? If it's not a silly question.

If it comes loose again, I'd still take it back, as one day you won't be able to tighten it any more
    Last edited by NigelG; 02-09-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Quote Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
    Good to hear and saved on fuel and time, sounds like pins are tapered. So for others benefit, which side do you tighten from?
    Good point chap. If you are looking at the pistol from the back, you want to tighten (push in) from the right hand side.

With the pin in question you don't have a choice, it goes into where the ejector is housed and the other end is hidden by the left side of the frame.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Good point chap. If you are looking at the pistol from the back, you want to tighten (push in) from the right hand side.

With the pin in question you don't have a choice, it goes into where the ejector is housed and the other end is hidden by the left side of the frame.
    This is really useful in case somebody else experiences the same issue, so thank you for sharing. Glad it was simple to rectify too.

I have a plan at the back of my mind to find and adapt a .38 plastic cartridge holder to fit inside one of the repro ammo boxes and at the same time leave enough space for CO2 Powerlets and ball. Not authentic as you say but handy on the range. I understand the fondness of being surrounded by brass too. Sadly a distant memory now with many of us.

Kind regards,

John

I have had no problems with my three.

I am using the antique one most just to see how it stands up to wear and tear.
    I am not being rough with it but holster use and general carrying to and from shoot etc.

The other two are treated with more care.

I don't use the grip key on any as this seems to be asking for trouble!
    Last edited by gingernut; 03-09-2015 at 09:45 AM.

Hi guys..

blooregard, sorry to hear you got a wobbly barrel issue mate, i know of one other person that had the issue to, but he dropped his Colt SAA so im not surprised the barrel worked loose..

I have only put 13 co2 capsules in my nickel/stainless Colt SAA so far but its not had any issues yet and the grip key has not rounded off at all looks new still, on my Colt SAA's i barely have to tighten up/put pressure on the hex screw to piece the co2 capsule and to get an airtight seal..

ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Colt SAA Peacemaker

Marc a really good review, i really do like the authenticity with these co2 pistol

atb kai06

Quote Originally Posted by kai06 View Post
    Marc a really good review, i really do like the authenticity with these co2 pistol

atb kai06
    Hi Kai, thanks a lot mate..
    Yeah me too I like these a lot, they do have some visual flaws but I do personally think they are one of the best airgun revolvers on offer at the moment..
    ATB, marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Hi guys..
    I thought I would give a little update, too my silver umarex colt saa to gun club tuesday to have another little shot with once I finished shooting the live round guns, I have now put 12 co2 capsules through the umarex colt saa with an average of 90 shots per co2 capsule, so the gun has seen a little over 1000 shots and all us going well, so, so far so good.
    I am very much used to the sight rail/grove now, so groupings always seem to be nice and constantly in the 1.5" groupings. I'm still very please with the gun and hopefully I will say the same after its had a few more thousand rounds through it..

Happy shooting all..
    ATB, marc..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Hi guys..
    I thought I would give a little update, too my silver umarex colt saa to gun club tuesday to have another little shot with once I finished shooting the live round guns, I have now put 12 co2 capsules through the umarex colt saa with an average of 90 shots per co2 capsule, so the gun has seen a little over 1000 shots and all us going well, so, so far so good.
    I am very much used to the sight rail/grove now, so groupings always seem to be nice and constantly in the 1.5" groupings. I'm still very please with the gun and hopefully I will say the same after its had a few more thousand rounds through it..

Happy shooting all..
    ATB, marc..
    Hi Marc,
    Glad you're having so much fun! I have found it difficult to count the number of shots I get from 1 Powerlet as I keep losing count. I guessed at around 70 - 80, so would not be surprised if it is nearer 90.

I found the bright nickel finish glared in sunlight and placed a dab of matt black paint on the rear of the sight groove and on the rear of the foresight to help with sight acquisition. This made all the difference and helps me to pick up the sights quickly.

John

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I have had no problems with my three.

I am using the antique one most just to see how it stands up to wear and tear.
    I am not being rough with it but holster use and general carrying to and from shoot etc.

The other two are treated with more care.

I don't use the grip key on any as this seems to be asking for trouble!
    Likewise, although I do use the grip key - seems pretty sound.
    Happy shooting

Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Marc,
    Glad you're having so much fun! I have found it difficult to count the number of shots I get from 1 Powerlet as I keep losing count. I guessed at around 70 - 80, so would not be surprised if it is nearer 90.

I found the bright nickel finish glared in sunlight and placed a dab of matt black paint on the rear of the sight groove and on the rear of the foresight to help with sight acquisition. This made all the difference and helps me to pick up the sights quickly.

John
    Sacred blue!!

Black paint on a Colt SAA whatever next

Missed a trick there I think John - what's needed is the nickel for dull overcast days and the blued version
    for when the sun is glinting. Come to think of it when was that by the way?

Definitely a win win way to go as you can then swap your grips around too. Blued is very nice with ivory grips and the nickel none too shabby with the shiny walnut.

Paint? On a nickel SAA with leather rig? No no no it's gotta go!!!

Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    Sacred blue!!

Black paint on a Colt SAA whatever next

Missed a trick there I think John - what's needed is the nickel for dull overcast days and the blued version

Definitely a win win way to go as you can then swap your grips around too. Blued is very nice with ivory grips and the nickel none too shabby with the shiny walnut.

Paint? On a nickel SAA with leather rig? No no no it's gotta go!!!

Hombre
    Two pistols for bright and dull days has to be the way forward! Perhaps a double gun rig from John Beattie to house them both?

It's just a dab of black paint to dull the sights. Totally reversible and more durable than the sight black I used to use on my match pistol.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    Sacred blue!!
    You have it all wrong there, the blued\antique versions are the proper ones (if only there was a colour case hardened version, not viable with Zinc alloy though).

The Nickel version is only for Milkybar Kid\Sharon Stone cosplayers.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    You have it all wrong there, the blued\antique versions are the proper ones (if only there was a colour case hardened version, not viable with Zinc alloy though).

The Nickel version is only for Milkybar Kid\Sharon Stone cosplayers.
    I have a confession here. I used to own a number of 'plated' cap pistols as a kid and this is one of the reasons the nickel SAA appealed to me. I also intend to watch the Sharon Stone film you mention one of these days when I find it - I have it somewhere!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I have a confession here. I used to own a number of 'plated' cap pistols as a kid and this is one of the reasons the nickel SAA appealed to me. I also intend to watch the Sharon Stone film you mention one of these days when I find it - I have it somewhere!

John
    The Quick and the Dead, an excellent film with lots of focus on lovely western guns.

I too had a healthy fascination with cap guns, brilliant toys. Back then it felt almost as if you were packing a Colt Detective Special, with flash, smoke and a weedy bang (Not that it sounded weedy at the time).