Thread: Why I am Beginning To Change My Mind About Sub12 Hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    And this is but one of the situations where experience does come into play.
    An experienced shot will be able to compensate for any wind and decide whether the shot should indeed be taken at all.
    Maybe not Rob, if we're talking of a 1mph wind, i challenge anyone to be able to detect that. Also take into account that whatever wind is felt by the shooter won't necessarily be the same 20 yards out.

Let's not allow this to spiral into a sub 12ftlb long range hunting thread as it's been unequivocally proven to be irresponsible.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

If you are a top shot, FT or one of the other disciplines, and can hit paper targets out to 60m, then 1/3 is 40m in the field. Thats 15m beyond the farmyard 25m. 40m is long enough when all other factors are taken into account.
    With 12ft/lbs air rifles I stick with shooting within the farmyard though I do have a bedroom window shoot into my garden that is up to 33m (I have a bedroom rifle just for that; I have a lot of rabbits getting into my garden, and yes my wife does make comments). But thats my limit.
    Know your kit, know your limits, your call. Be a sportsman not a chancer.

For the rest, open farmland, its rimfires and centrefires for me. And they are limited in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Maybe not Rob, if we're talking of a 1mph wind, i challenge anyone to be able to detect that. Also take into account that whatever wind is felt by the shooter won't necessarily be the same 20 yards out.

Let's not allow this to spiral into a sub 12ftlb long range hunting thread as it's been unequivocally proven to be irresponsible.
    I shoot target more often these days Chris. There is no way that I could read the wind at 70 yards. I know the gun is laser accurate even at 90 yards and I know that I have made the calculations and all that but I still miss now and then.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

I was entering into no such subject as distance. Nobby quoted distance not I.
    What I was saying was its an experienced shooters call.
    B.A.S.C. member