Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
Thanks John, the Protek site is very interesting for examples of actual guns with detailed descriptions of their condition. This made the other link more understandable for a vintage newbie!
I am still a little confused about the model letters, I thought they only went up to 'D' so seeing a model 'T' threw me!
Hopefully there might be something I can at least handle (and maybe buy) at the Melbourne gun fair in October.
Hi Mark,

It's a huge subject! Pre WW1, there were the Improved Model B and D but between the wars, the models are best identified through the serial number prefix, such as L, S and CS between 1919 and 1935 (Light, Standard and Club Standard), then A, C, T and B between 1936 and 1939. The A and T were updated L and S models, sharing the same external dimensions, whilst the C was a shorter CS (the C or Club model made its first appearance in 1930 and to confuse matters further, early short Club models were fitted with CS prefixed trigger blocks), whilst the B was a 'new' Breakdown model.

I've written a book on the subject and am presently seeking a publisher.

Kind regards,

John