Thread: Turkish Tempests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tempest

Ignore both the and Turkish Tempests and go for a Nemesis, miles better, better trigger, more accurate, less cocking effort and only slightly less power, and of course recoiless.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Ignore both the and Turkish Tempests and go for a Nemesis, miles better, better trigger, more accurate, less cocking effort and only slightly less power, and of course recoiless.
    Or a FWB 65/80 or, at a push, an Original 'Giss' system pistol.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Great thread. If I want some serious shooting at 10m I use my FWB65, but for pure enjoyment and the challenge I use my 80's Tempest or 40's Senior. So the comparison of the 'modern' Tempest is very interesting, particularly the question on what is the best pellet of old and new barrels. The .22 question is well known against old British barrels and true 5.5mm barrels, but always wondered about the .177 pellets. Like the test I find Hobby and Geco both work well. Keep this thread going!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc61 View Post
    Great thread. If I want some serious shooting at 10m I use my FWB65, but for pure enjoyment and the challenge I use my 80's Tempest or 40's Senior. So the comparison of the 'modern' Tempest is very interesting, particularly the question on what is the best pellet of old and new barrels. The .22 question is well known against old British barrels and true 5.5mm barrels, but always wondered about the .177 pellets. Like the test I find Hobby and Geco both work well. Keep this thread going!
    Hi John,

We do need to find the best pellet type for use in the new Turkish Tempest as the barrel is definitely tighter than the version, so some of our comparative testing may change a little once we can find and match the best pellets to each barrel type.

.and (perhaps just as importantly) it gives us another excuse to keep this very enjoyable series of tests going each Thursday night at RMTC where is is giving us plenty of fun and some not too serious debate about the merits of both.

Now the wider trigger ( bought from Chamberlains last week) has been fitted to my BT it does feel a lot better and I rang the redbob bell a few times with it immediately after it had been fitted ( luck or fluke?) and hope when we dig-out the hard PTFE seal and replace it with a leather or neoprene type an improved barrel seal may further assist the in its fight back to close the gap on the Turk.

Meanwhile of course the new Tempest also gets better as it "beds-in" so the gap could go either way - but it still retains it's superior power and really whacks the target with a much harder thump!

Since I picked up my old Senior the other week and dug-out a .177 Premier this series of comparative "tests" looks likely to rumble on for some time and maybe deserves a new thread as it encompasses even more variety of Webley v Webley
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Ah, yes, that debate (Senior v Premier) is worthy of a seperate thread. There was very little difference between the late Senior and early Premier (visually) but as the Premier developed it changed a lot, but did the performance improve?

Ah, yes, that debate (Senior v Premier) is worthy of a seperate thread. There was very little difference between the late Senior and early Premier (visually) but as the Premier developed it changed a lot, but did the performance improve?
    OK - we will give it a try - any excuse for some more fun

Does anyone have an early Premier (anything prior to an F would be good) they would like to sell me by any chance as this could be the start with a head to head against the Senior
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I hate to admit it chaps, but I am rapidly going off Webley pistols. Problems with a Tempest that wouldn't group and now an uncocking Premier. Whatever next? The embarrassment of these events occurring when surrounded by certain umbeleivers doesn't help either. Reckon I will be keeping with the BSA Magnum option from now on.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

The Senior was a better performer. The problem with the Premier was the basic piston washer of saucer shape in Teflon or Polyurethane proved a tad inconsistent shot to shot and ridiculously wide spread when compared to this Turkish Tempest of near perfect shot to shot consistency.
    The Phosphor Bronze ring of the Senior could be remarkably consistant provided it was run with a slight smear of oil. This was the problem here....getting the oiling right but for about a tin pellets a Senior could perform very nicely before a touch of oil being required. The volume was also very slightly greater than the Premier
    Turkish Tempests are the real winners in .22 because the mainspring is different and capable of 400fps.
    The .177 version shares the bog std mainspring used for eons back to the Neathandal era.
    I prefer the matt finish of the Turkish Tempest over the gloss of the BT.