Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HFT suitable or not

Cool HFT suitable or not

I have recently got a brocock bantam don’t know what it is about the gun I’ve rarely missed a shot ( hunting ) under 45 yards Last 3 years been wanting to try hft but got there on the morning got my bsa s10 or my tiger 10 out the bag and completely bottled it I really want to try with the bantam but don’t wanna look a fool any advice would be great thanks for reading

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKDOGG View Post
    I have recently got a brocock bantam don’t know what it is about the gun I’ve rarely missed a shot ( hunting ) under 45 yards Last 3 years been wanting to try hft but got there on the morning got my bsa s10 or my tiger 10 out the bag and completely bottled it I really want to try with the bantam but don’t wanna look a fool any advice would be great thanks for reading
    Go for it fella, I've shot a HFT course with a Gat rifle, a King Ratcatcher, and stuff older than me, trust me you won't look a fool...…………..leave that to me!
    Go and enjoy!

HTH.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

but don’t wanna look a fool
    This seems to be a common reason for not entering comps, and to be honest I've never seen anyone take the piss because of either the gun or the final score. If you're there to join in in good spirit, nobody cares.

You can use anything you want, no-one really cares. I've used break barrels with open sights before.
    And if you don't want to, you don't have to have your card in at the end so no-one will see your score. But again, no-one cares what people score unless you are a big competition.

My first HFT event I shot a bog standard TX200 with hawke vantage. I didn't know my aim points/holdovers, didn't know the rules, and kept shooting the wrong targets. But it was mega fun.
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself

If anyone’s taking the piss out of you for missing shots that are purposely set out to be tricky, you’re at the wrong club, mate.
    I’ve shot at a ton of grounds and have never heard anything like that going on to be honest (I’ve also shot abysmally at some). As said, people turn up with what some class at totally unsuitable rifles - but they have fun and more often than not can hold their own. I’ll be using an open sighted rifle when the clubs reopen, just because I like it.
    My attitude would be to go along as a newcomer and try and knock the targets over that the ‘pros’ are missing...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

My daughter shot some UK HFT competitions using a Daisy 880 pump up ... there is a picture of her in the latest Airgunner magazine in a Gary Chillingworth article ... She had a wonderful fun time and a great cheer went up when she knocked a target down.
    So go for it. It's all good fun.
    Cheers, Phil

I've only been shooting HFT for a year or so & have really enjoyed it. All the guys are very helpful and understanding if you're not quite sure what to do.
    It doesn't matter what rifle you shoot, so long as you know the safety rules and follow them.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Definitely try it out, most club shoots are very friendly with lots of banter and a lot less serious than you might think. No one will be sneering if you miss a shot or judging you for what you shoot with.
    Good deals with these members

Few

Thanks guys I’m going to give it ago I can only try might be worth trying not to over think Thankyou for all your great responses

Why - Exactly - do you think that shooting this will A. make you look a fool or B. why you think your fellow shooters give a stuff ??

HFT and perhaps less so FT is a sport where you can compete to the highest degree or just for the craic of it.

Makeof it what you will,

shoot in a giraffe onsie - nobody gives a hoot so shoot what you like so long as it is safe and capable and compliant with the comps regulations.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Why - Exactly - do you think that shooting this will A. make you look a fool or B. why you think your fellow shooters give a stuff ??

HFT and perhaps less so FT is a sport where you can compete to the highest degree or just for the craic of it.

Makeof it what you will,

shoot in a giraffe onsie - nobody gives a hoot so shoot what you like so long as it is safe and capable and compliant with the comps regulations.
    Just overthink everything and I always think don’t ask too many questions blah blah blah

Been shooting HFT for almost 14 years now and have travelled all over the place to comps. The word competition does spook a lot of new shooters but the vast majority of shooters you will meet will be spot on with a fair few willing to help out a new shooter. The laughs and banter are what keeps me coming back and I'm one of the few to be awarded the coveted UKAHFT 100 baseball cap.....you qualify if you shot 100 rounds at the national level. Trust me, once you've got the overthinking and nerves out of the way you will be hooked. It's a pity that you're a bit far away from my club plus the covid malarkey as you would have had an invite to pop up and shoot our practice course. You would be shooting with former regional, national and world champs but you would never know it from the banter and non stop pee taking.😂
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

HFT - the people who shoot it for the most part are top people. Friendly, approachable, willing to help.

Every sport has a few twats but you have to live with that.

Of the two disciplines, HFT is far more reaxed than FT to my mind. I started in FT and switched to HFT after trying both - overlapping.

I now mainly do pest control but HFT improved my skill set way beyond what I need.

Just go for it, experiment, ask questions, listen to others and watch what people do. You will see lots of different approaches and most top shots are more than happy to answer questions.

Kit FIt is king so if the gun is comfy and tactile, you immediately improve your chances.

I started with a Rapid 17 in a Gary Cane stock then switched to a Steyr 100 FT which was such a superb gun. For FT top marks but I hated it for HFT.

Bought an HW100 and loved it..... went to Poland and lent it to a Polish shooter who's gun went down and he loved the rifle so much he wanted to pay me more than I bought it for.

I sold him the gun but at a price I thought was fair and just did the FT course with my steyr.

Bought an airwolf with the money and it was very very qiet and accurate but it was just useless as a hunter and HFT so went back to an HW100 which I still have.

For me the HW100 with fettleing is just an amazing all round rifle.

But it doesn't really matter so long as it fits and does the jobs you want it to.

You will know what will suit from experience...… just embrace the curve and crack on
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I think it depends on what you want out of a shooting sport.
    I tried FT for a while. But for me, it was a bit too regimented, there was a bit too much gun snobbery, and it didnÂ’t seem particularly friendly. (Could have just been that one club)
    HFT on the other hand, is more varied, and I found it much more informal. People also seemed more accepting of less experienced shooters, and more affordable equipment.
    Where be your gibes now? Your songs? Your gambols? Miserable bugger!

Mate just go for it, I shot the 2018 NSS masters comp with an open sights HW77 and had a great day out,,

I returned a crap score right enough but that wasn't the point, I shoot comps for my own enjoyment and not for league standings or bragging rights.
    Im not the greatest shot and I'll never win a medal (unless Im the only one entering) but I really enjoy meeting my mates and having a bit of banter with them.

Just get out and don't take it too seriously, you'll have a great time