Thread: BB Pistols that are ok with Gamo Lead balls???

BB Pistols that are ok with Gamo Lead balls???

Learnered pistol folk.

A little advice if you would be so kind

Years ago I had a Makarov pistol that was recommended to shoot the Gamo lead balls e.g. Rifled barrel etc.

I remember I had to use x1 less ball in the magazine to stop any jams or stack squashing but none the less all worked ok.

Now on to other BB pistols my son is still looking for a nice WW2 era replica type pistol ideally we needed pellet due to club range not allowing BB but he still hasn't made his mind up but for the relatively low cost we are thinking about the KWC Luger blow back replica.

Now this is a BB firing pistol but if I can get it to shoot good enough or even shoot at all with Gamo lead BB this might get me through the back door to the clubs pistol range as less chance of bounce back and ricochet etc.

Does anyone know if BB pistols will work with Gamo lead?

Noticed JSR say only Gamo pistols for the lead balls and won't work with metal BB type pistols

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/enlargei.../GamoBB_01.jpg

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...]-6320334.html
    Last edited by oldskoolzzz; 27-12-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Hmmm these might be another option:

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...;500-tin].html

I have used the Excite bb's, and they do behave a lot like steel bb's in the handling, not much 'squasage' in loading etc. I have never tried the Gamo bb's, but have heard that the Dan Wesson 2.5" smooth bore likes them, so I am going to get some to try in mine. Presumably any of the shell-loading revolvers would be happy with them, someone with a Mk VI Webley might be able to relate their experiences.
    A jolly good WW2 era pistol to try out!

Just clocked that you are in Long Eaton, which club do you shoot at?

Cheers, Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Just tried the Webley, it handles them without problems. All of my DWs do as does my Peacemaker.

The only automatic I've been able to shoot them from is the Umarex PPK/s and that was a really old model (PPK/s Classic) though I am sure they all handle them the same. Other autos that chamber the BB before firing just will not cycle, the P08 included.

Smaller lead balls will be fine in the P08 though, and it is an excellent fun gun to shoot.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Yeah definitely go for the H&N smart shot copper coated lead BB's or the webley accu BB's. They are much better then the gamo lead balls and will perform better too. The gamo lead balls are too inconsistent in size and in the revolvers like the dan Wessons and pythons and peacemakers can get sick in the cartridges, due to some being slightly oversized.

The H&N smart shot and webley accu BB's are consistent in size and the Dame size as steel BBs 4.4mm, I use them in my guns if I need to in both revolvers and semi autos like the Kwc 1911, if you use them in a magazine like the Kwc 1911 that has a strong high tension bb follower spring don't fill the magazine to the max with BB's so the top and bottom bb in not under too much pressure, just like you was doing with your mak..
    The webley accu and H&N smart shot copper coated lead BB's Will work fine in the luger.
    ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Thanks for the replies and advice chaps

Taking my son for a gunshop visit today I think I'm more excited

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Just clocked that you are in Long Eaton, which club do you shoot at?
    Hi Mark,

Just spotted this.

Been a member of the NAC at the Tunnel since 2007 bud.

I only go on Wednesday evenings but haven't been for months and actually going tonight taking laddo with me for some Lads and Dads session.

Currently waiting for a reply from main man about using BB pistols on the pistol range think I asked years ago and they were not allowed as they were frowned upon due to ricochet etc but not sure if lead BB will get same response.

I know theres a little range closed off where chrono is used where I think BB can be used but I'm waiting for clarification.

Are you local club member Mark?

Nick

Red face

Hi Nick,

I used to be a member, joined with my Russian mate Vladimir, we both moved on to the club in Swadlincote as the 'opening' times at the tunnel range were very limited.

Swad is a key holder club and I can go at any time - work and family tend to get in the way a bit, but I usually visit once a week. I work in Derby, so going after work suits me as I am already part of the way there.

Say hello to Mr Pates for me!

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Nick,

I used to be a member, joined with my Russian mate Vladimir, we both moved on to the club in Swadlincote as the 'opening' times at the tunnel range were very limited.

Swad is a key holder club and I can go at any time - work and family tend to get in the way a bit, but I usually visit once a week. I work in Derby, so going after work suits me as I am already part of the way there.

Say hello to Mr Pates for me!

Cheers,

Mark.
    Hi Mark,

Small world eh?

I had a detailed reply back from Mike today about BB pistols currently they aren't allowed but maybe some scope in the future to use on the 8 yard chrono range.

Pretty sure it was Vladimir who purchased a HW99s from me a few years back and I put him in touch with the club as he wanted somewhere to shoot it.

You know I've never bumped into him since like ships that pass in the night....lol

I've heard of the Swadlincote club sounds very good do they have a pistol (BB) range?

My son bought the KWC Luger today we just tested it out in my garage and he loves it

I'll probably be looking for another local club that allow the use of BB pistols as I fancy an old Mak again now

Take care

Nick

Hi Nick,

There is a 10m pistol range for 0.177 rifles and pistols, I am sure that steel bb's would not be allowed, do not know about lead though, but I will try and find find out.

Fees are steep-ish at around £148 per member per year, under 17's are £37 and 17 to 21 is £74, but there no range fees and as much time as you like, whenever you like, shooting. I pay mine in three installments to spread the cost. I think the website has pictures of the facilities.

Does Stan still go to the club? He always brought something interesting from his collection, I really enjoyed 'looking' at his Brocock revolver, that was part of the reason I bought the Dan Wesson. I remember Mike getting concerned about people without a ticket having a go with it. Don't know anything about that myself.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Last edited by Modski66; 29-12-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Still no word on lead bb's at Swadlincote, but there is/was?? a 1999 Mak for sale on the UBC forum - £140...

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Yeah most of the old guard still frequent.

Was chatting to Stan last week for most of the shooting session

Regards BB still up in the air at the minute possibly scope for the future using lead on the 8 yard range only but nothing concrete yet.

According to Mike Pates There's a chap on Sundays who is supposedly trialling out the BB stuff and hasn't had much success due to richotet etc.

I haven't been on a Sunday for probably 10 years so unlikely our paths will cross so unfortunately we can't head bash it together as my sons play football on Sunday mornings.

For now it's bb use in my garage only which my sons not too fussed with but would be nice to use it at a club.

I think we will probably also get a nice replica pellet pistol next so at least he can use that down the club.

It's such a shame there has never been a pellet firing luger replica as that's my sons favourite pistol.

I could probably still get a mak and single shot load a pellet if needed it's a bit fiddly in practice but can be done so that's another avenue to consider

Nick

Hi Nick,

I had a reply this morning about the 10m range, the only restrictions are on rifle/pistol power, calibre no more than 0.177 and projectiles must be lead. Might give my Dan Wesson a go there with some Gamo bb's.

I am not a member of the tunnel range now, so our paths probably won't cross...

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Nick,

I had a reply this morning about the 10m range, the only restrictions are on rifle/pistol power, calibre no more than 0.177 and projectiles must be lead. Might give my Dan Wesson a go there with some Gamo bb's.

I am not a member of the tunnel range now, so our paths probably won't cross...

Cheers,

Mark.
    You can still pop down as a guest bud

Mark just had some good news

Mike pates just emailed to say the 8m range (2 person chrono range) after some anti-ricochet material fitted is now clear for lead BB

Best not tell the missus as I'm 100% looking for a mak now

My son is going to be very happy taking and now able to use his luger down the club

Bugger just realised I need to go shopping at JSR now......co2 bulbs, lead bb's aghhh more expense doh!!