Thread: Piston gliding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Yes, I can of course appreciate the technical benefits of piston efficiency optimisaton, it is just the terminology I find irritating when it doesn't really mean anything and is just a sound-bite. A" gliding" piston is no use whatsoever if it leaks air under pressure. Optimising a piston is a complex compromise of many parameters, including frictional resistance at rest and its change with speed, piston weight, geometrical design of the seal, lubricant if any, piston wobble, etc.. It would be more honest to use the term 'fettling' when a piston is being optimised, but this is not exactly a hi-tec term so "gliding" is invented to make it sound more scientific.

What next? We might yet get 'pellet surfing', 'spring trampolining', and 'trigger feathering' as scientific terms.

Look up 'Ludite.....

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    Look up 'Ludite.....
    I did - it's spelt luddite.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    What next? We might yet get 'pellet surfing', 'spring trampolining', and 'trigger feathering' as scientific terms.
    "Tuning"
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    "Tuning"
    That has always been a good word for tinkering with airgun performance. It says what your intentions are without claiming to be some major tehnical scientific breakthrough, like "piston gliding". Better than 'fettling' as that has connotations of a headless chicken.