Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
Further to my original ramblings on this thread, the "conclusion" reached by a fair few and from subsequent conversations with fellow Venom / V-mach fans:

Older rifle-slower and smoother
Newer rifle-faster and "snappier"

The rifle that Bigtoe describes as beautifully engineered but horrible to cock-well, guess what, I got my hands on it yesterday. Springer tuner extrodinaire Dave Gee has worked his magic on it. New breach seal, Venom Piston head, full re-lube and a macarri spring= airgun joy. Yes it is harder to cock than my early Lazaglided 77, not really much harder than my Lazaglided 97k though. The firing cycle is somewhere between the two, although the lock-time is warp speed
Could the answer be: take the best bits from old/new and combine them?

Or should we all be buying short-stroked TX's?
had a chat with Dave tonight after I worked a deal on that 80 in the Tyrolean that I added bearings to, he was telling me after the breech seal he could back the spring off quite a bit...just hows how sometimes simple things get missed and have a dramatic effect on how a rifle shoots. I can tell you everyone that shot it at our club commented on how hard it was to cock, it must be quite a bit nicer now..

So, what do i do with this 80 with a Zephyr spring, i only want the stock really, do I short stroke the piston and sell the action or sleeve it and keep it? if I keep it it will be a .20 when finished not a .22.